Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 70 SS that has buckets but no console. The 4 speed has the rubber boot as a bench seat would. Does anybody know if you could get buckets without a console or is it possible this is a bucket seat conversion. There is no build sheet, protecto plate and engine is a replacement so numbers don't match. Is there any way to confirm a car is a true SS other than matching part of the VIN # on the engine block? A short list of things to look for would be appreciated. I will get to see the car this coming weekend. It has a lot of SS options including cowl hood, dash with gauges, etc. It has been restored and looks good in the video. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

·
Registered
233 Posts
Chuck,
Yes it is very possible to have buckets with no console.I have seen many SS Chevelles like that.A simple thing to look for in a SS are boxed control arms.Although a really good clone artist can replicate a SS without anyone knowing its a fake.Bottom line is the only way to be totally sure is paperwork like a buildsheet.If the car has the right stuff at a right price then go for it!There is a great SS spotter guide on this site.check it out.

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with Dean. I have seen buckets with
console,(I've had this set up in my Chevelle), also the
bench seat with 4 on the floor, and buckets
with no console 4 on the floor. (I really
like the look of the 4 speed shifter with boot and no console!)
I've seen automatics with no console, buckets
but the shifter was on the tree,(column).
The only automatic shifter on the floor, buckets no console, I've seen were on the early Mustangs of the '60's.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
One near me. I'll own it one day. True 66K miles survivor 70 Malibu convert. Guages, buckets, 4 speed, no console

------------------
Mike Crosby
MCC #349 ACES #2334, TC Gold #64

·
Registered
337 Posts
there is also 2 different shift boots one for a console and one with out. a friend of mine has a 70 that came without a console

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great responses, thanks guys. I feel more comfortable now looking at the car this coming weekend. It looks great in the video but one never knows until you can touch and feel it.

If I buy it I will have two red cars, one 70 SS 396 El Camino and one 70 SS 454 hardtop. Maybe I can tow the hardtop on a trailer to shows with the El Camino, then show the El Camino. I wonder if there is a category for tow vehicles?

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.