Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elcamino was originaly a column shift power glide. NOW, I have a 4L60 tranny with a B&M Hammer floor shifter.
I want to move the shifter closer to the driver side of the tunnel and Sink it into the floor.

The carpet I bought has a bulge in it to accomandate the kick-out in the floor where the shifter goes. You can buy a "Shifter Hump" patch panel but they are no where near the size of the carpet hump, they have no raise in them at all to fill the carpet void.
Is there something else that goes under the carpet at this location?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Are you saying the carpet you bought is molded to fit the 4speed shifter hump? If that's the case, I'd like to know where you got it. My El Camino is a factory 4 speed and the replacement carpet I bought (granted, it was almost 10 years ago) does not fit well around the hump. My original carpet fit perfect of course.

To answer your question, no there is nothing else that goes under the carpet in that area. The repro 4 speed hump patch panel is nearly identical to the original as far as I can tell, except that the metal is a lighter gauge. That's the reason I decided to repair mine instead of replacing it.

Keith

------------------
Keith
1970 El Camino SS396
RPO L-78

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Until recently, I didn't realize either that they offered two types of carpets - one for manual trans cars and one for automatics. The Year One catalog is the only place I've seen the two different types listed. Most of the other vendors sell a "one size fits all" variety.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rainer - It's one of those "You got to ask for" items.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.