Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard someone is manufacturing a shifter handle for a Hurst Comp. Plus shifter that is identical in appearance to the original handle on 66-67 4-speed shifters. The Hurst handle is square stock and has Hurst imprinted. Has anyone seen the look-a-like repos?

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot.

I think perhaps some clarification in terminology is needed here. If you're talking about the piece that fastens to the shifter body and comes up through the rubber boot in the floor, I have always known that to be referred to as the "shift lever". The only "handle" I know of related to a shifter is a "T-handle" which sometimes took the place of the round knob on the upper end of the shift lever. Hurst did manufacture T-handles which fit their own shifters. There were numerous other types, too.

To the best of my knowledge, the '66 and '67 Chevelles all came with round, chrome plated shift levers, with a round ball on the end. They also had a sliding bushing just under the knob which had two finger pulls on it. You had to pull up on this bushing in order to engage reverse. So if Hurst is manufacturing something square with the word "HURST" imprinted on it, I don't think it's a repro for '66 or '67 Chevelles.

On the other hand, if someone is reproducing an original-appearing round chrome lever which can bolt onto a Hurst shifter body, I haven't seen or heard of it.

[This message has been edited by Bill Pritchard (edited 02-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by Bill Pritchard (edited 02-10-99).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the confusion Bill. I am talking about the "lever". You are correct in describing the original lever which is round, chrome and has the reverse lock-out. Hurst does make a shifter for these cars, the shifter mechanism that bolts to the trans is different and does not require the lock-out lever. The chrome shifter lever supplied with these shifters is different than the oem. I have bought simulated "correct" levers for other vehicles that appear to be oem but are made to fit the Hurst shifter. Has anyone seen one for the Chevelle?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.