Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the 4 speed hump in my 1969 Chevelle SS. I want to be sure to position it properly so that the console and linkage will operate as designed. Any tips on how to position the hump before I weld it in? The car will have front buckets. Thanks!!!

Joe

·
Registered
501 Posts
The hump is not welded in it is held in by screws, you can use some type of sealent such as silicon. Just move the hump until it lines up with the contours of the transmission tunnel and cut the metal off of the transmission tunnel where the shifter needs to go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I replaced the floor pans in my Camino I also replaced the shifter hump. Since there was most of the original tunnel left it was easy to see where the old one was fastened(welded)and I could position over the same spot. Used seam sealer to seal it up. Worked great

Aces 209

·
Registered
826 Posts
Okay, so what do you do with a tree-shift car that's being converted to a floor shift? We've got a '67 that we're putting a Muncie in. I thought we could just cut a hole and be done with it. Not so?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Start with a small (4") hole in an approximate position centered over the shifter. You will have to remove and replace the trans a few times as you increase the size of the hole until it is about 3/4" less than the size of the patch panel, keeping the shifter throw "equal-equal" within the cutout in the patch panel. You might also consult the assembly manual for an approximate starting position.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Patch panel? What patch panel? Am I missing parts AGAIN that I need to buy? Where do I go, credit card in hand...

Info: it was a tree 3spd '67 283, will become a 4 on floor 350 car. I have the correct shifter, no console, don't want one. I thought I could just put a boot over the hole. Do I need this patch panel for reinforecement around the hole or is it for looks only?

·
Registered
501 Posts
The part that goes over the shifter is called a transmission tunnel plate, or transmission tunnel hump. You can buy one for about $40.00 new and they can be bought from just about any Chevelle parts supply catalog, any transmission tunnel from any same year A body will also fit.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks Ken, but I still would like to know if I really NEED this part (for added sheetmetal stability) or if it's just one of the "correct" items that guys often want to install. Any cash that I don't have to spend on unnecessary parts goes towards something else. If cutting a hole will make the floor flex, then I'll put this piece in to bring back the rigidity.

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
The Shift hump is not for rigidity but to give you a flat place to mount your boot to. If you don't use the reproduction shift hump, you will have a huge hole down the side of the trans tunnel and need an unsightly giant boot, which makes me shudder every time I see one. The $40 is well spent and makes the installation look right. They sell a shift hump for console intallations and one for non-console floor shift cars.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks, Bob. One more question: do I really need to weld it in, or can we screw it in place? We don't have ready access to a welder...or someone who knows how to use it! (Hmmm...my girlfriend took welding classes a few years back...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.