Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
John, switch is located on your column.
If you,re missing the activating linkage (like I am) not sure where to replace it.

------------------
71 Ragtop
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Sid is right. The switch is in the stearing column. Usually the "Back drive" linkage has been removed and tossed. Not only does this linkage activate your backup lights it also locks your steering column when you shift into reverse and turn the ignition to the lock position.
Maney aftermarket repro venders offer this linkage. It's easy to install it operates off the reverse lever on your muncie, thru a swivel bracket which attaches to your frame and then attaches to your steering column.

FastSS396man

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Another option is a switch that Hurst sells. It mounts to the back of the shifter (hurst type) It's a plunger type swith that's activated by the reverse linkage. Then you run the wiring up to the column and tap it into the reverse wiring (schematic needed). We just put one on a 73 Z28. Works like a charm!

------------------
71 Malibu 454/4speed
www.geocities.com/chevnt1_chevelle/

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
And one more option is to install the bracket, rod, clips and switch used on 68-earlier 4spds. The bracket, rod and clips are still available from Chev parts and the switch is repo (and it is a good repo). This setup was also used on the Vettes for some years. I have this setup on my 70 conv (because I don't like to have to always park the car in reverse in order to get the key out!!!!) and it works great.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Here is a photo of exactly what JBlack is describing. I used a shifter mounted plunger switch, then ran a pair of wires down to it, wrapping them in split plastic tubing, hooking them directly into my stock reverse plug with a pink & lite green wire. Worked perfectly and no column backdrive linkage required. www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin/072801-28.jpg

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

Pictures of my 72 Chevelle SS Restoration: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
13,200 Posts
I also have a 4 speed muncie, and no reverse lights. I wonder if anyone could help me with my problem. My tranny is in a 67 SS, and is the original tranny

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.