Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to convert from an automatic to a stick, preferably a 5 speed with overdrive. my car is a 72 and I am running a 468 with turbo 400 and 456 gears. I am looking for a strong trans that would require minimum floor mods, the floor is painted on the underside. Does anyone have a reccomendation? I have considered the new muncie m22 if I cant find a 5 speed that fits my existing tunnel.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The tremecs require a fair bit of cutting from the pcitures I have seen here. THe newer richmond 5 speed OD has less cutting, but still some and it costs more I think. You may want to look into a Gear Vendors OD set-up.... hopefully others will add to this...

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
With those gears, I would for sure go with a 5 speed OD.

The other option would be the M20 (2.52 1st gear) and changing your rear gear.

If it were me, I'd save my money and get the OD. You will make up the difference in cost at the gas pump.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I used to run a Gear Vendors overdrive behind a muncie and its OK but I much prefer the TKO-600 thats in it now. The TKO has a much taller (.64) overdrive than a Gear Vendors and on mine it did require some cutting of the floor pan although on some cars this is not necassary. Cutting the floor pan for a Tremec is an easy job, time consuming but easy, you`ll be glad you did it in my opinion. I now get 17 mpg with a stout 454 and 850 Holley Dp and the 5 speed to me is a blast, plus first gear is lower than a muncie so you get off the line stronger.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I used to run a Gear Vendors overdrive behind a muncie and its OK but I much prefer the TKO-600 thats in it now. The TKO has a much taller (.64) overdrive than a Gear Vendors and on mine it did require some cutting of the floor pan although on some cars this is not necassary. Cutting the floor pan for a Tremec is an easy job, time consuming but easy, you`ll be glad you did it in my opinion. I now get 17 mpg with a stout 454 and 850 Holley Dp and the 5 speed to me is a blast, plus first gear is lower than a muncie so you get off the line stronger.
Sid, I have read a few times on line that some people are have trouble shifting the Tremec at highr RPM. Hve you had any issues like that?

·
Registered
581 Posts
No but one of my freinds did, his would not shift to third gear at higher rpm, Tremec sent him the parts to fix it, not sure what the part was but it did require removeing and going into the tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info, I was seriously considering the tremec before I found out you have to cut the floor tunnel and I have seen a few posts from unhappy customers on other sites. Does anyone know what kind of fit to expect from the richmond 5 speed with OD?Does anyone have experience with the new version of the M22? I probably will also end up switching gears to 373.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Go with the tremec.....the problems are over hyped!

G

·
Thanks for all the info, I was seriously considering the tremec before I found out you have to cut the floor tunnel and I have seen a few posts from unhappy customers on other sites. Does anyone know what kind of fit to expect from the richmond 5 speed with OD?Does anyone have experience with the new version of the M22? I probably will also end up switching gears to 373.
I have lots of experience with the new Auto Gear M22 and M22W as well as the standard M20 and M21. A near bullit proof unit. The super case has eliminated the case flex and the iron mid plate is a far better piece than the stock unit.

New side cover, new extension housing, it's all good:yes::yes::yes::yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts