Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This car has been for sale for about 2 years. I think he started off asking around 30K (24K USD). He's now at 17.5K (about 14K USD). Looks to me he spent good money on the wrong car. It pays to hold out for a 2-door if you expect to get your money back out of a project. I'm thinking he'll be keeping it a while longer unless he lets it go for 10K or less.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,264 Posts
As stated above, if he had a wider market it would sell. Younger generations don't have the 2 door mentality, they have a premium on them that isn't justified now. How many 2 door cars are manufactured nowadays?

It's still a 1967 Chevelle and since everyone has coveted the 2 door and thrown away the more doors (parts cars), they're starting to pick up rare status.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
It doesn't help his ad with just 1 picture.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As stated above, if he had a wider market it would sell. Younger generations don't have the 2 door mentality, they have a premium on them that isn't justified now. How many 2 door cars are manufactured nowadays?

It's still a 1967 Chevelle and since everyone has coveted the 2 door and thrown away the more doors (parts cars), they're starting to pick up rare status.
I figured you'd chime in Jeff. You've got the right idea on what to do with a 4-door. Buy one with a "good enough" body and then modify everything else to make a fun car. In my opinion the beauty of 4-doors is that they're cheap (or were), so you can buy one for way less cash and have money to make it the way you want vs spending all the money just to get a 2-door. If I was trying to get into this game now, that's what I would need to do. I was fortunate to have bought my project car 22 years ago. At that time I paid $2,500 for 2 cars. 1 complete but rusty driver and 1 rust free bare shell. Then bought a mint $500 4-door for the rest of the parts. Those days are over.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
the way to have fun with a 4 door, get one with a good body, drop a later model 454, th350 and a built 12 bolt and a basic front disc brake setup.. drive it around, take it to the track etc so people are used to seeing it perform so well.
When your ready to sell, put the old 10 bolt and a used 350 in it and move on. jim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just got home from dinner out with my lady cruising our '66 "Sport Sedan" 4-dr HT. I take it all over the place don't worry too much about it. Been slowly fixing things up on it ( avoiding expensive body and paint ) , but it's fun to drive and gets lots of thumbs up here in the valley of Tesla's. ( silicon valley ).

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,264 Posts
I figured you'd chime in Jeff. You've got the right idea on what to do with a 4-door. Buy one with a "good enough" body and then modify everything else to make a fun car. In my opinion the beauty of 4-doors is that they're cheap (or were), so you can buy one for way less cash and have money to make it the way you want vs spending all the money just to get a 2-door. If I was trying to get into this game now, that's what I would need to do. I was fortunate to have bought my project car 22 years ago. At that time I paid $2,500 for 2 cars. 1 complete but rusty driver and 1 rust free bare shell. Then bought a mint $500 4-door for the rest of the parts. Those days are over.
Thank you, I definitely understand the stigma attached to cars. Some look at the 4 door car like I'm at the end of the bar at closing time picking up the drunk wall eyed chick. She's got everything the high maintenance one has. :sneaky: I'm having twice the fun at half the cost.

After seeing the extra pictures... Dude needs to get rid of the plywood center console and sticker on the back window. I know modified cars are harder to sell but the less personal touches you have on them makes them more appealing to a wider audience. The velour seat covers may detract from it too.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
what's wrong with velour upholstery?
I can't complain, these are 66 seats and cheap. 4 cans of dye and gtg for a few years until I decide I want to burn my legs on vynle again. jim
Plant Window Comfort Chair Houseplant

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A very restorable '66 four door 300 sedan showed up in the East El Paso pick a part a few years back. They wouldn't sell it whole, and didn't catch it, while in their Intake area. Wound up blowing that car apart, a lot of excellent parts that fit the coupe models. Still have the Firewall / Cowl section, and a few other bits in the '66 parts section.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts