Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, what do you guys think about 4dr Chevelles?
I can get a 68 w/307 for a little over a grand. Haven't seen it yet but since my 2dr 68 is looking more and more long-term restoration I was sort of
looking for another 68 to keep me company. Does anybody out there own any 4-doors and are
parts like door hinges weatherstrip etc hard to find?
Plus later on I was thinking I could make it into a
"sleeper"...................
Thanks

------------------
Gary Davis
68 Malibu 327
ACES 3009

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I own a 68 4 door malibu that had the original 307 with 37k and long story short has a new 350 in it now. I drive it every day and when I first got it I got complements almost everywhere I went from people. Just goes to show that you don't need a 2 door for people to like your car.

The only thing I could advise you is something you probably know already since you already have a 68, most things are a one year only deal on 68s.

As for the sleeper, I've surprised many a mustang GT with my 4 door.

-Joe Y.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I think it would be pretty cool.

As far as parts, I have no idea, but from looking through the Year One catalog, I'm guessing that they aren't easy to find. On the other hand, how much would you really need to look for? Aside from the second set of doors, not much will be different.

As far as it being a sleeper, I like the idea. The weight difference over an SS or Elky is almost non existant, so that wouldn't be a factor. Leave it stock looking with some poverty cap rims and you'll never get a second look. or at least until you leave them sitting at the line with a dumb look on their faces

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Gary, you may not be able to find reproduction parts, but I would think NOS GM parts would be available. I was still able to get GM parts for my 70 2 door a few years ago that now are unavailable. Check with your local dealer he may be able to get weatherstripping, rear door parts, ect. Philip

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a 1970 Sport Sedan and the bigest problem is finding the quater pannels and doors and to a degree glass... from the front seat up they are the same. I think that the 4 doors are good if you drive it a lot and maybe also drive with other people. I'm young so I still drive around wiht a whole group of people from time to time and the 4 doors help out so much.

I also think that the sedans had a better weight split than the 2d cars... but that could just be me.

------------------
Francis Taracido
[email protected]
Proud Patron of Quadzilla

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I would tell you to replace the springs if you want any performance (especially if you have headers). Actually, the springs are so mushy that when I put it in first going 25-30, the front end jumps up about 3 inches like I've got something really nasty under the hood.

Well, the problem I'm having right now with my 4 door was it was left in the sun and it damaged the interior and I'm gong to have to fashion my own door panels. I'm trying to go with a two tone interior (black and white) cause I really don't like the just black look. If anybody has any suggestions, send them to me via e-mail. Thanks!

-Joe Y.
p.s. I have a left lower quarter patch for a 68...a friend had two and used one on his 68 4 door.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, the only car I've ever had is a 65 4 door, so I obviously think its cool. Yes, some of the parts are harder to find. Especially door panels. I see lots of 4drs in junkyards, I don't think you'd have any problem finding hinges, glass, or internals. Also note that the rear bench seat is different (more rounded corners). For my year, I was able to get all of the weatherstrip stuff, with the small exception of the rubber bumpers that goes the bottom of the rear doors. If I were in the market for one, I'd try to make sure these harder-to-find items were present and in decent condition. Take a look at the price guides. It makes a lot more sense with the 4drs pay a little more up front for a nice one than to get a beater and try to chase the parts you need. --- Carl

[This message has been edited by Carl Brune (edited 04-21-99).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey! I have 4 doors off of a Beaumont (Canadian Chevelle) they have door hinges still on them and the windows.
I would sell them cheap if you are interested

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last year I bought a nice 72 Nova for $600. I put about another $100 in minor repairs and tune up. It had a nice paint job, a little rust, good tires with an extra set of snows, and a like new interior. My daughter wrecked it a few months later, but I was able to piece it back together from junk yard parts. I see lots more 4 doors in the salvage yards, so from that stand point maybe parts are easier to come by. I'm not sure if your are restoring. Good luck. Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dadgum it!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy sold the car before I could get a chance to check it out. I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!
Might as well pout all I got to ride in now is my 4dr
Accord and my F&%#!D truck.
Thanks for the ideas guys, maybe next time...

------------------
Gary Davis
68 Malibu 327
ACES 3009

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 4 dr 66 Malibu Sedan which belonged to my grandparents and was the car that I learned to drive on the highway in. Although it is, obviously, not as collectible as other types, it means a lot to me. Consequently, I am in yr 3 of what looks like is a 5 yr project. Mechanical parts have not been a problem. Interior and certain trim pieces are. Everyone in the world, for example, sells new door and rear quarter interior panels for coupes and convertibles. I have yet to see anything for sedans. The interior, however, is the last part of the project, and if push comes to shove, I will have to work with a shop to re-make the interior pieces.

Enjoy - I think you'll be suprized at how much is available.

------------------

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not a damn thing wrong with 4 doors !

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.