Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to confer with you guys of what you think about my intown experience.

SS 396
650 DP Holley
24" tires
4.11 rear end

Now, I don't plan on taking this car on any long trips. I was wondering if I would have a good long lasting town car just to boom around in? I'm not worrying about gas prices. And it will only be drivin about 4 times a week. ONLY intown driving.

------------------
If you run you'll only die tired.
'69 Chevelle SS 396

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Great gear for the track and stop light to stop light. I wouldn't have anything else for cruising. Don't plan on taking it in any trips unless you want to you way slower than traffic speed to get there.

I have a show I want to go to tomarrow but it is about 45 min. away. I will probably trailer
it most of the way so it doesn't take 2 hours to get there.

I just noticed after posting you are only running a 24" tire. That is way short. Why so small? I run a 26" slick or 27" street tires. I wouldn't think about that short of tire with that much gear.

------------------
78 Malibu
still a terd but now with a new 383

67 Wagon
project soon to be LT1 / 4L60E / 12 bolt posi daily driver

[This message has been edited by gearheads78 (edited 08-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by gearheads78 (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
two thoughts: First, I hope you have positraction. Second, if possible install a four speed auto., and you'll have a great ride highway or not. The 700 is cool, but the 200 installs WAAAAY easier.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Ace,
I cruise around town with 4.11's in my '67 EC BB with a TH400. However, I am using a 275-60-15 tire which is 28" tall. Great response from stop light to stop light!

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
'67 El Camino-Finished? Never!
'80 Camaro RS
'77 Camaro LT
'89 Buttstain LX
67 El Rat-original
67 El Rat-Cruisin'

G

·
If you're not taking any long highway trips I don't know why you'd worry...no matter what size tire you're using. Don't worry about it and have fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gearheads78:
I just noticed after posting you are only running a 24" tire. That is way short. Why so small? I run a 26" slick or 27" street tires. I wouldn't think about that short of tire with that much gear.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been a long while since the rear tires were new. I plan to put new ones on this month. What brand of tires and size should I be looking at?

Thanks
-Anton-

------------------
If you run you'll only die tired.
'69 Chevelle SS 396

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have 4:10 gears and 26in tires and i've been to shows a 100miles away and i have know problems on the highway, i just go alittle slower. I usually run about 3300rpm at about 58to 60 mph

------------------

lucky3
1968 Malibu
My 68 Malibu
Dale Earnhardt always

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.