Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a '73 Deluxe that is clean, but patina with faded paint with some but almost no rust. The car is running and drive able with 350 CI badging on the side with a turbo 350 auto. It's a pre smog California car. I think I can pick it up for $950. I never would have considered the 3rd gen's but it's still a Chevelle and the price is right. Any a body have a reason not to waste my money. I think I'll just clean it up, tweak a few things and make it a driver.....

Anybody have one and what's the goods and bads on these models....thanks

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Your plan sound good, there really isn't much of a market for those years, so the resell value isn't there. It's an inexpensive way to get into a cheap classic driver.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
It's a 73 and a pre smog California car? I thought everything in California was smog equipped by then. I agree with Steve on the market value, it's just not there. If you do buy it make the brakes and steering safe and drive it till it drops.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
California doesn't require smog tests for pre-1975 cars. They aren't exempt from having smog equipment, just testing.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Ok I thought when he said pre smog he meant the car was built before they started putting smog equipment on California cars.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
That would be the more accurate way to describe it, but it has become the default way of describing an exempt car in ads.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I didn't know chevelles were classified as different generations.

So help me out. Wouldn't 64 and 65 be one version?

66 and 67 another and then 68-72 the 3rd version?

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
those are called the colonnade's cars 73-77
problem with interior is that the plastic trim gets ate up by the sun
cracking and no replacements;
they ride and drive nicer than the earlier cars
i've had a 76 malibu; was a good driver/runner>:)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Im a 73-77 fan so I cant give a reason not to own one. :D
Not much available for aftermarket parts on these years.
$950 would be a good price if its solid.
Typical rust areas are around rear taillights, lower quarter panels and lips, bottoms of doors, fenders.
Is the chrome in good condition?
I assume its a bench seat?

I'd like to see some pics if you have some.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the replies. I want to clarify my earlier description. When I said pre-smog I meant 1975 and older are exempt from having to get smog tested in California. I think some one thought I meant the car had no smog equipment. I'm not sure what emissions equipment came that year but the good news is I don't need a smog check and certificate to drive it. As far as looks, I'll post some pics later this week. Someone mentioned plastic interior parts cracking from sun. The car is a faded forest green paint, yikes, but the interior has held the color and doesn't appear to have issues other than a few rips in the front bench seat and some shredding of cloth in the rear seat.

The car is original and not altered and carries 350 CI badging on the fenders. When I looked up the powertrains for the'73 Deluxe's, they indicate 6 cylinder motors only. Anybody have a better knowledge or can confirm if 350's came with the Deluxe. Hopefully I should have this car in hand after the weekend. More to follow.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The VIN will tell you what engine came in the car. You should be able to find the information with a quick Google search. For $950, I would not be too concerned with how the car was equipped when new, but how it runs now.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Hey Tony, I could talk all day and night about these denigrated cars. I don't think it is entirely fair that they are slagged. A thing to remember is that cars could not be sold if they did not conform to the laws thrown at them. They are heavy, but probably about 4 or 500 lbs are the garbage that the government and insurance companies demanded they be sold with. Emission standards also ripped the performance and economy out of these cars after the fact, courtesy not of Chevrolet engineers, but the un-elected EPA officials that dictated how things were going to be. The resulting cars, plus all the hard feelings that enthusiasts had, tend to taint the reputation of these cars. They actually weren't half bad, but as was stated, the plastic parts (GM got REALLY cheap) furthered the negative reinforcement.

The 73 Deluxe was the last Chevelle to come with rubber floor covering rather than carpet. You almost have to take on one of these cars as a charity case, or, with a massive BBC to counter the heavy aspect of these cars. I don't think it is entirely fair or deserved, but the fickle market dictates what is hot.

A 73 Deluxe was available with every Chevelle engine available that year, meaning 250, 307, 350 in 2 and dual exhaust 4-barrel form, plus even the LS4 454. 4-speeds were only for coupes with h.d. suspension.

Check it out:

I doctored the Deluxe image by putting on Rally Moon hubcaps (as they were called) plus the 454 badging. That plus the wider wheels that came with the white lettered tires. All were legit options on the car as shown.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I have a line on a '73 Deluxe that is clean, but patina with faded paint with some but almost no rust. The car is running and drive able with 350 CI badging on the side with a turbo 350 auto. It's a pre smog California car. I think I can pick it up for $950. I never would have considered the 3rd gen's but it's still a Chevelle and the price is right. Any a body have a reason not to waste my money. I think I'll just clean it up, tweak a few things and make it a driver.....

Anybody have one and what's the goods and bads on these models....thanks
Doc & Spiral's 73-77 Chevelle Page - 1973 Malibu Information
this link has interesting info on this>:)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
For 950, I'd snatch it up.

Mechanical parts are plentiful and easily found at neighborhood parts stores, everything else can be found used on ebay or CL. There is plenty of aftermarket for carpet and upholstery. Some body panels are available aftermarket, like fenders and 1/4 patch panels, trunk pans and floor panels. Numerous parts suppliers have those.
The hardest parts to find are usually trim and some rubber and interior parts.
Dashes usually crack, but dash covers are available nearly anywhere.

Common spots for rust problems: Around the bottom of the back window, quarters, rockers and especially under a vinyl top.

These models are actually much easier to get back together than many think, and the 73 probably has the widest appeal of of the 3rd gen cars.

Grab it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts