Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it's -10 outside, things get boring in MN... So you find things to do in the "indoor" workshop ;).
Last fall I was poking around in our local "U-Pull-R-Parts" yard looking for ideas for a 3rd brakelight to add to my '65. I saw the setup on the roof of an Astro van and the gears started turning...

I think it turned out pretty nice! .... (If I do say so myself)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like that. I've been thinking of putting one in myself but haven't liked what the aftermarket has. How did you do your taillights, how many led's per side?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are 30, 8000mcd red LED's per unit, in 5 arrays of 6 LEDs each, on a full PC board that snaps into the OEM lens. There are 5 resistor "packs" of different values to alter brightness between taillight & turn/stop duty. I use a custom 1157 bulb base adapter to plug into the factory socket.

(I used to build these on a custom "made to order" basis until the Chinese mass-marketing prices made it impossible to compete.... several TC members have been using my lights for years before they were available "commercially", and I offered products for the "non-bellybutton" Chevelles).

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Cool idea! I think I have just gotten a new project to add to my list! Been trying to find a way to do a third brake light!
THANKS!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts