Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding car parts can sometimes be hard, if not impossible, and when you do find them sometimes the price is ridiculous for what you get or the quality is sub par. I've doing 3D printing for over three years now and found numerous uses for the hobby to fix common things around the house, so why not my car?

I was showing my new 64 Chevelle to my brother and he comments, "You should get a period correct battery". Well, since my battery just recently died on me, I looked up old school looking batteries and they want north of $350 for one, no thanks. I also found they sell battery toppers that look like old school batteries and those were like $80 for the nice looking ones and good luck if fits your type of battery. So, I said to myself, I can make a topper. The attached image is just the cap and there's a few more pieces to make the "topper", but it's free and I know it will fit when I'm done.

And since I was in the "see a need, fill a need" mode, I fixed my constantly dropping windshield visors by making custom shims(ones that actually fit and function correctly). The shim is the tall cylindrical object in the attachment. Has a split in it so it expands when pressed on the visor shaft then be be collapse once in the visor mount. Super tight fit now.

Next up a re some plastic push pins for the steering column guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's awesome. I have thought about getting a printer a few times. I have a co-worker that teaches automotive. He prints a lot of training aids. He printed a fully functional Torsen differential that was awesome. Different color gears and all. Although I think he just downloads the STL files and prints them.

Occasional I'm looking for something simple that nobody makes. The last thing I remember is when I was looking for some kind of fence clips so I could hang some of those cheap $1 solar garden lights off a chain link fence perimeter. At a buck a piece I didn't care if somebody stole them or they broke. I couldn't find anything and eventually forgot about it.

Looks like you found a good use for yours. Might eventually pay for the cost of the printer. Nice Job.

·
Registered
Cevrolet Chevelle convertible 454 SS Clone 1972
32 Posts
I made the retainer for the tail lamps, some retainer for the assy. bolts at the dash and a bushing for the odometer. A strap hinge was also made by X1 Artillery sidewinder 3D Printer.
Rectangle Grey Font Graphics software Screenshot
Automotive tire Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Wood
Hood Automotive tire Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Rectangle Organism Font Automotive design

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made the retainer for the tail lamps, some retainer for the assy. bolts at the dash and a bushing for the odometer. A strap hinge was also made by X1 Artillery sidewinder 3D Printer.
View attachment 720887
I might pester you for your speedo bushing STL. Yesterday I took out my speedo and dissasembled it completely to try and trace down a ticking noise, which only happens when I go over 30mph. I already eliminated the cable being the culprit. The only thing I could find that could be the issue was a little slop where I think the spinning magnets are hitting the aluminum bell enclosure where it spins. The shaft which it rotates is where found a very slight movement. I did not dissabmble the shaft though. I just lube the gears, made sure everything was nice and tight. I also pulled some slack up to the speedo cable so it enters the back of the speedo in a straighter line thinking the cable might be pulling down on the shaft and thus cocking the shaft to the magnets because of the slop and making it hit the bell housing. I'll be going out for a ride today to test.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,543 Posts
I had a friend make me the bent tube adapter from the vent hose to the Astro ball mount. It wasn't perfect but it worked.

Reactions: xk49

·
Registered
Cevrolet Chevelle convertible 454 SS Clone 1972
32 Posts
May the hole in the firewall has a differnt dimension, you can give me the diameter in mm / or imperial.
I can easy adjust this in Fusion 360.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Another thing you can do is to make a mold of your 3D print and use that to make your actual part out of something like epoxy or urethane (with or without glass fiber).

To do this, I'll use ABS filament (old school FDM printer). The ABS can be polished glass-smooth by hanging it in acetone vapor. Then, I'll make a mold using Smooth-On Oomoo 25 (I think that's the one.. many different silicones will work). From there, you can pour whatever resin you want into the silicone mold - there's a huge selection of different ones to pick from, ranging from soft rubber to super hard plastic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts