Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a 398 NA stroker build. To replace the modified 5.3.
JE ultra -5cc pistons 4.03 bore
K1 h beams
K1 crank 3.9 stroke
Trickflow 235 heads from Brian Tooley Racing
Cam motion 242/246 114+3. 621"/.604"
Johnson 2116LSR lifters
Tooley rockers(new design), shaft mount system,
ARP studs mains, heads
3/8 manton pushrods(haven’t ordered yet)
I’ll add pictures once I get started waiting on Rotating assembly and heads.
Looking for 500/500 rwhp/rwtq. Cam motion and Tooley said that shouldn’t be a problem most likely it’ll be higher.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Starting a 398 NA stroker build. To replace the modified 5.3.
JE ultra -5cc pistons 4.03 bore
K1 h beams
K1 crank 3.9 stroke
Trickflow 235 heads from Brian Tooley Racing
Cam motion 242/246 114+3. 621"/.604"
Johnson 2116LSR lifters
Tooley rockers(new design), shaft mount system,
ARP studs mains, heads
3/8 manton pushrods(haven’t ordered yet)
I’ll add pictures once I get started waiting on Rotating assembly and heads.
Looking for 500/500 rwhp/rwtq. Cam motion and Tooley said that shouldn’t be a problem most likely it’ll be higher.
500 RWHP ? What is it thats making you think you'll get 500 rwhp out of that? If it's an automatic transmission your gonna need potentially 600 or possibly more at the crank

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
500 RWHP ? What is it thats making you think you'll get 500 rwhp out of that? If it's an automatic transmission your gonna need potentially 600 or possibly more at the crank
The guys at Tooley and Cam Motion are pretty confident about the power it will make with the combination of Cubic inches, heads, cam and intake. Just going off what they claim. I’ll be using a TKX.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What block did you start with, iron or aluminum? Sounds like a nice build.

Very close to my cam sizing.
236/248 620/.603 115+4
Iron block the cars suspension is setup for the heavier weight already. The parts are slowly starting to come in, once everything has arrived I’ll start build with photos.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The guys at Tooley and Cam Motion are pretty confident about the power it will make with the combination of Cubic inches, heads, cam and intake. Just going off what they claim. I’ll be using a TKX.

View attachment 709132
Its definitely possible to get close to 600 hp and torque at the crank of those cubic inches but that would be one hell of a build there . I hope you get it and please show the engine dyno and specs . I'd be very curious to see the exact route they took if you do get in that ball park

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just out of curiosity did you consider the comp shaft mount LS3 rockers? I haven't decided what I want for my build.

I'm doing a similar CI build but a little different.

LS9 block - 4.065 bore
LS9 CNC Heads - Debating if I want to stick with these
Callies 3.825 Magnum 8 ctw crank
Callies Ultra I beam rods
BTR Stage 3 or maybe Stage 4 PDS blower cam
JE Dish -24cc (8.9:1) custom pistons (pin loc change, heavy pins, ceramic coating)
Kong 2650 LSA supercharger

I've been waiting right at 6 months for the rotating assembly from Callies.

Also if you haven't looked at the Richard Holdener videos they're a good starting place. Here's one on 6.0 mods where they pulled over 570hp on a NA engine

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Just out of curiosity did you consider the comp shaft mount LS3 rockers? I haven't decided what I want for my build.

LS9 block - 4.065 bore
JE Dish -24cc (8.9:1) custom pistons (pin loc change, heavy pins, ceramic coating)

Also if you haven't looked at the Richard Holdener videos they're a good starting place. Here's one on 6.0 mods where they pulled over 570hp on a NA engine

Thats still a ways off from gettin 500 hp and torque at the rear wheels

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

LS9 block - 4.065 bore

I did go with the shaft mount rocker setup.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The comp cams version is a little different in all the rockers are mounted on a single shaft.

There is a video about the Tooley ones. They do come with steel pedestal mounts and caged bearings. I think they explain why they didn’t use the solid 1 piece.(something about the spiny ton and flexing. I ordered Trickflow 235 cathedral heads from Tooley, along with their platinum springs and new design LS rockers. (I currently have a set of the springs on the 5.3. no valve flow and I run it to 6800). I already had the Fast 102 cathedral intake.

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,255 Posts
Those TFS heads can’t use a stock rocker setup right? I looked at those but went LS3 using the stock stuff instead.

Looks like a stout build.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those TFS heads can’t use a stock rocker setup right? I looked at those but went LS3 using the stock stuff instead.

Looks like a stout build.
I asked Tooley racing about the rocker setup on the TFS heads when I ordered them. They said everything I ordered will work with the heads. From my understanding stock GM rockers will work with the TFS heads.

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,255 Posts
I asked Tooley racing about the rocker setup on the TFS heads when I ordered them. They said everything I ordered will work with the heads. From my understanding stock GM rockers will work with the TFS heads.
Summit says they need to be run with roller rockers. Interesting.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Summit says they need to be run with roller rockers. Interesting.
Summit only offers them with the stock bronze guides and stock combustion chambers
You need powdered metal guides a upgrade offered by most head builders. (Same material as the factory stock heads)

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
Summit only offers them with the stock bronze guides and stock combustion chambers
You need powdered metal guides a upgrade offered by most head builders. (Same material as the factory stock heads)
Didn’t know that. Once I found the Ls3 heads, didnt look into it further. They look like nice heads.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Twice with a MMO and towel and twice with a MC sheet. I’ll go back over each cylinder before assembly. Hopefully the rotating assembly will show up next week.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts