Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you could help Ryankey find out what motor he has. As was said before a stock 325hp 396 should run in the 15's. We didnt have an exact race, but we floored it one behind the other. My car runs mid-low 13's. And I slowly crept on him at the top of each gear, falling behind after shifts. So something can't be stock on this beast.

What is it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nitrous? Glad to see you still come to this site.

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
336 Posts
assuming the car is actually making a useable 325hp and the driver is taking advantage of this, it should run in the mid or maybe high 14's easy. especially on a good day with the right gearing, traction, etc..

a few simple mods like headers, exhaust system, air cleaner, ignition (timing, coil), smog device removal, etc should boost that even more. thats not even talking about intake, carb, cam, port/polish etc.

thats what I think anyways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Saleen,
Ryankey's engine could easily be a stock 325 HP 396.
My stock 325/396 (when it was about a year old) ran 13.70's with slicks (open exhaust/stock manifolds) and 15.10 on it's only pass with street tires and mufflers. The reason most big blocks run 14 or 15 sec. ETs is because the don't hook with street tires very well, if at all. So if he hooked up on your test he shouldn't be far behind you.
Also if your car was in different trim (like closed headers, etc) than it is when you run low 13's it may be running closer to what he would run.
Take both cars to the strip and let us know how they run. Then you'll know more.
GaryR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmm... My car feels much faster than a 15 or even mid 14 car. I have no idea whats done to it, just that its a new 396 motor with headers, flowmasters, holley 750. I don't know anything about the heads or cam. And I don't know what year the motor is either. Is there a noticeable difference in power between the 325, 350, and 375 HP 396 motors? Because mine seems to run pretty dang strong. I've never had it dyno'd so I haven't got a clue what this thing is putting out... What would the stock 1/4 mile times be for the higher horse power engines??? Maybe thats what i have.

[This message has been edited by Ryankey (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a G-tech, and have found it to be quite unreliable. It read [email protected] for my friends 1969 350cuin camaro. I then tested my 5.0L mustang in stock trim (except for 3.73 gears and headers) and I got [email protected] Seemed a bit slow, but reasonable. I then raced the camaro, not timed. I was tied in 1st gear, fell slightly behind in 2nd, more in 3rd and 4th. He won by about 3-4lenghts. That does not make 2.6seconds though...

After doing my heads/cam/intake on my mustang, along with throttle body, i was expecting low 13's on street tires on my g-tech. Strangly I got a [email protected] better speed, but same time. would look like a traction problem, but I had no traction problem.

slipping clutch? Maybe, still looking into that.

So I don't find it reliable.

Ryan Keys car seems very fast for a stock 396/325. It has a drag suspension with very good weight transfer. The front end lifts a good 6-8inches. With out posi he has good traction. Since he doesnt know much, maybe the previous owner had done some stuff to that new motor??

Sky

·
Registered
18 Posts
is there a series of numbers and letters that are stamped into the flat pad on the front of the engine (pass side, facing up)?
post them in the decoding section and they can tell you what the car originally rated as.there is no way to determine the original ratings without these numbers or opening it up and looking at the block casting numbers.

as for what it has now..
let me see if I have this right
750 carb
headers
drag racing suspension setup
no idea of internal modifications..
A 325HP engine can easily be made to produce more than that HP if you change the cam/heads/pistons(compression ratio)intake/exhaust/carb/etc...
In your original post, you wanted someone to help confirm the possibility of a higher HP engine based upon your "seat of the pants" street (?) test and the times estimated for a "stock 325hp 396". If you know that the carb and headers and suspension have been changed, its not stock.
Don't be fooled, "seat of the pants" guesses are not a replacement for true 1/4 mile times. take it to the track, from there you can work out what it is really putting down at the tires.

[This message has been edited by RobB (edited 06-09-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Saleen(or Ryankeys) is that Ryan's chevelle on your(Saleen's) homepage or is that another friend? The 69 on your page is very dope!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah that is my Chevelle on his web page. I'm glad you liked it!! I've done quite a bit of work to it since I first bought it. Basically all it was was a bitchin engine with a shell when I got it a year ago. I've completely redone the inside and outside.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, thats his chevelle....theres a nice video of it on there too... I'd have a video of my car on there too, but its currently out of commission.

Sky

·
Registered
17 Posts
Saleen I saw the video it appears that the chevelle has a massive traction problem and it's only one legged can't see it doing much better than 14's, with street tires and no traction .But I've been wrong before ....Take them to the track and find out for sure. Oh yeah you are driving a mustang right, Did you really expect to keep up whith a CHEVY

------------------
geocities.com/MotorCity/shop/7841

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just for perspective, I can tell you that a recent muscelcar review "stock" shootout had a guy running a 70 L34 SS396 (350 HP) with TH400 and street tires doing the 1/4 in high 14's (14.98) to low 15's with trap speeds in the 90's. That holds up pretty well to a couple of old road tests where an L34 was doing the 1/4 in low 15's. Obviously bigger exhaust, headers, radials or slicks, cams, carb work, distributor work, higher rear ends, etc. can drive those numbers closer to low 14's and high 13's.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Morris "moepoe" Porter

Aces 2674

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, yeah, that video was made for a peel out though, the clutch was dumped at 6000rpm! Thats why its spewing smoke through 3rd gear!
Just wait till you guys see the double tracks my car lays
. I have to get some new rims right now though, the fronts are bent.

you never knew what a 302 could do?

Sky

·
Registered
336 Posts
Saleen: I hate to break it to you but the GTech is DEADLY accurate. It goes off one thing and one thing alone, G-Force. From that you can calculate everything it has to offer except HP which obviously you have to enter the weight of the vehicle. Also if you only do one test run, you wont be getting an accurate reading. This is not the GTechs fault, there are many inconsistancies with the car and driver and track/weather etc... If you dont average about 4-5+ runs then it means nothing

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, well I'll give it another few runs then. The only thing I was wondering which might affect, it was, how much the front end of a car lifts up... Because you have to adjust the G-tech to be level, and that could really affect it. My car lifts up maybe 1/4 of an inch at the windshield. While ryans chevlle may move and inch or two.

Sky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.