Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... just curious. I found out the Chevelle I will be restoring is numbers matching (trans, rear end to VIN)...minus the original engine. Apparently my buddy put a 454 block in his car and put the 396 heads back on it. So I'll be looking for a period correct 396. Car build date was 2/16/70 per the build sheet. Are they out there?? And is there a 396 find site looking for original motors? Assuming of course it didn't throw a rod out the side lol. Thanks!

Registered
you could also look for a CE motor built after your cars build date. I picked up a 71 CE motor with 1970 heads etc. period correct and could pass as a warranty replacement for a 70. I didn't buy it because it was a CE motor, I bought it because it came out of a running car and I want to swap a big block in my 66. jim

Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did your buddy take the original engine out ?
Did your buddy take the original engine out ?
Yeah it's gone, I was surprised actually. I've known the car, and he had it since '79. I figured it was all original because his wife doens't know about the engine swap. He passed from Covid in Jan. and I bought the car from her. It was his baby so I was pretty sure he'd done nothing to it. I was wrong lol...

Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about your friend, makes it pretty difficult to find an original # engine when it鈥檚 been scraped or sold off, not sure where you would start. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
Its early for me so I'm looking for something built in Towanda in Nov/Dec/Jan... 2/16/70 build date. Probably a long shot. :)

Premium Member
I agree with Stickman. Unless you have the original numbers matching engine what value will a date correct block add. Besides nobody will ever know if its a date correct block or not and unless every component on your car is original or date correct what is the point?

Registered
And then there's the whole discussion about "Original" vs "Numbers Matching". For many "Numbers Matching" includes replacement blocks, heads, etc with correct casting numbers and cast date codes but may have been restamped to "match" the car. Just ask the folks in the Corvette world. The key is you didn't transform the car to something it wasn't from the factory such as changing a small block car to a big block car or changing a 390hp car to a 435hp car, etc.

Verses "Original" means componets the car came off of the assembly line with.

Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with Stickman. Unless you have the original numbers matching engine what value will a date correct block add. Besides nobody will ever know if its a date correct block or not and unless every component on your car is original or date correct what is the point?
I agree... no value added. Just trying to keep it as original as possible and matching the fender plates. When he changed out the engine...he also let the carb, distributor, exhaust, intake and heads go with it. My son tells me the heads are '66 Chevelle 396 heads lol.... Haven't verified though.

Registered
I'd build the 454 and buy the 396 sticker as was said earlier. The 396 is just going to add to the cost and have less power.

Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
I think some of you guys miss the point. For someone building an engine representative to a certain car or timeframe it鈥檚 important to select numbers correct parts and date correct parts as applied to the car it will reside in.

The engines out there that aren鈥檛 anything like the original engine that was in 鈥渢hat car鈥 are a dime a dozen! Anyone with a brain will spot a wanna be 396 or 427 with only a sticker attached!....and be even close to the real thing!

It has nothing to do with power, sound, etc., but it has everything to do with taking the time to get the replacement engine in the car as close as possible to what was likely there when the car was born.

To each their own, but for some it鈥檚 not about looking correct but 鈥渂eing correct鈥. That still matters to some gear heads out there!

Reactions: Leadhead

Registered
a
I'll take the HP.
For me it depends on the car. If it's an original SS then I'd probably go the "matching numbers" route. My '58 Vette is a "numbers matching" NCRS top flight (local, regional, and national) car. Verses my '67 was an all original car down to the 195 hp 283, powerglide transmission, and 10 bolt open differential and I'm going supercharged LS/T56 Magnum/narrowed 12 bolt rear plus/Detroit Speed suspension plus many customizations.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts