Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted a few days ago about a brass tag on my block and brought out an interesting question is it a 396 or a 427 ... 64elcamino found the same thing i did ... that this same cast # 3855961 was used in 65 & 66 for the 396 and in 66 for the 427 engine is still complete and hate to tear down for a bore size any other way ???? http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm
is where my info came from any body elce find the same info as us and never heard of the same cast # being for 2 different bore sizes
by the way the brass tag is still a mystery ?

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
It was probably easier the first year to just cast one block that would work for both the 396 and the 427. My guess would be that if it is a 396 bore that it may have enough wall thickness to take it to a 427. Did you ever get the numbers from the front? Those will tell you what it was built for and the size. Philip

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Professor.
The H.P. Books How to rebuild big block chevys, shows the same info 396 or 427 from 1965 to 1976. shows to be used in trucks. Still a short deck block. 9.8in 396 bore is 4.094 427 is 4.251. If you want to measure the bore without removing the head you can remove oil pan and try to get a measurment on the bottom of the cyl.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Professor, a stab in the dark. Imagine there are some pretty trick roundy round boys down your way. Doesn;t NASCAR use a cylinder filling guage to check displacement?

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
64elcamino tried to get the #s off the frt of the block on the flat flange but the block must have ben decked at one time ... can see there are #s there but cant read ... the idea of going from the oil pan is a good one that i havent thought of will try and see Thanks Darryl

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Might be easier to try and measure across piston skirt with piston at bottom of stroke when skirt protrudes out of bottom of cyl.

------------------
71 Chevelle 454
65 Elco 4x4
68 Firebird 400 Conv.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gene> That would be a burette.
I'm no trick roundy round boy. Just a poor old lost in the Nevada desert boy.
I have a big glass one that we used at the salt flats to keep from pulling the head (meant pulling engine), on an inline 6 turbo diesel after we set a record. They work great with ATF.
Rick
'68 SS FoeTwennySebben
'66 Yenko

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yenko: Goldfield
Man you really are lost in the desert. How far do you have to drive to find a town with at least 10,000 people? I'll bet there is no shortage of deserted highways for "road testing"
. Heck this is where you go to test your nukes and stealth fighters... --- Carl

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gene> It really is trick! The trick is to keep from breaking it when using or storing it.

Carl> You would ask for a big # like 10,000. LOL Bishop,Ca. is 142 miles, Vegas is 180 miles, and Reno is 260 miles.It is 27 miles to a grocery store.
There is alot of nice open road. Of course, I would never think of exceeding the 70mph. speed limit on the hiway here.
My cars are glowing green here. The Yenko feels right at home though, as where where it was built was one of the most radioactive places around!

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.