Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 ss396 and am considering a rebuild. Why is it that I don't see 396 crate motors? I see 350's 454's, but not 396's. Why?

John

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not sure, but I will take a stab at it. I think due to marketing, which is, as new engines comeout in larger sizes, they become more popular than the smaller ones. And they do not want to produce a product which is not as popular as larger engines. Also, I believe that it probably costs the factory the same for components for a 454 as opposed to a 396, and since the 454 would command a premium price, therefore more profit. Hope this helps, Don

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
John,

Another reason is that the standard Mark IV block works for both a 427 and 454. I think it's economics. Why would they want to cast up yet another block with limited demand?

------------------

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree with the previous statements. The only reason for GM to offer 396's is the restoration market and maybe a few drag racers who want to stay with the 396. Very limited market. Also, if they did offer a crate 396, how many FAKE numbers matching SS396's would start to appear ???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.