Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '68 SS 396. I have no partial VIN on the front to authenticate the motor so I know I can't do it for certain. I do have the right casting number of 3916323 which appears to be correct. The build date for the car is 11E (Nov. Wk 5) but the engine is H 30 7 (Aug. 30) . Is it likely that this is the original engine with a 12 week gap? What is the norm?
Thanks, Phil

·
Administrator
17,145 Posts
I'd say your in the range for it being original.
Are there any codes on the front pad?
Take another look as they are sometimes hard to read.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Some early SS cars had the VIN number stamped on the rear of the block above the oil filter. The number would be on the vertical surface close to the transmission.It is also stamped into the rough cast surface and may be hard to read.

Paul

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Dale I have a 69 350 block. Casting 3932386 with a suffix of HV. It has the vin down by the oil filter it is 19L012???. I can't read the last 3 digits they are stamped too lightly.

Troy

The vin is 19U012???. I just looked at it closer.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
HV appears to be a passenger car code for a 350/255 w/TH350 and apparently Van Nuys stamped partial VINs there for 69 passenger cars. Often we (me included) concentrate towards the Chevelle lineup, more often for simplicity of answers. Chevelle facts/theories abound enough without taking the entire Chevrolet lineup into account. :D

Good piece of data to keep in mind though, even if it doesn't relate to Chevelles. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a 70 LS-6 block with vin down by oil filter built at flint plant in michigan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.