Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I got a "smokin deal" on a 88 454 out of a pickup. My plans are to put this engine in my 68 L78 project since the original engine is long gone. I have also acquired a 66-68 396/427 crank(steel forged). Will this crank work in the 454 besides the internal vs external balance issue and requiring different pistons? What about the rear main seal are they compatible? Thanks in advance for the responses.

------------------
Jeff A. ACES#841
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Someone answer this question. I want to know also. ACE, I do know this will make you a 427 if it works and it should be an internal balance engine.

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Bob's right. It has to be the old two piece rear main seal to work. Other than that my '27 is a 73 454 block and the '96 and '27 cranks are the same. The '27 is just a big bore '96. Check to see it's a IV block, not a V ( fuel pump mount is missing on V) and you should be good to go. I am unsure of the rod interchangability. New pistons are a must. Another '27 on the street is a good thing!

------------------

·
Registered
133 Posts
They make an adapter for the big blocks as well. I have one in my Gen VI block. You will have to have 427 pistons, use the 454 rods and the 396 crank. The piston pin is in a diffrent location on the 427 pistons than the 454's but are the same bore. As far as the fuel pump, go electric if there is no place to mount one. If you need the phone number as to where to get the adapter e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

[This message has been edited by Aug98 (edited 05-19-99).]

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Jeff,
I think '88 is one of the mixed years that could be either way as far as the rear seal goes. The adapter, if you need it is available from GM in the performance parts book. Depending on how you expect to run the car, the 454 may be better. The 427 can rpm a little higher, but the 54 will make a lot more low rpm torque, which is helpful in a heavy car. Mostly a matter of personal taste.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BillK,

How do you tell if it is a one piece rear seal? Also my reason for going to 427 is the car is a 4speed with a 4.56:1 12 bolt and figure less bottem end would be better. My other Chevelle is a 454 with th400 and 3.55:1 and this seems to be about right for it. Thanks alot guys

------------------
Jeff A. ACES#841
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are using a 4-speed check to see if the clutch ball hole is in the block. I am of the understanding that that some of the MK V blocks do not have the clutch ball hole.

------------------
CRUISER

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Jeff,
You will have to pull the flywheel and look at the back of the crank. If it is perfectly round, with a round seal that you can see from the back, that is the one piece seal. If the back of the crank has a "oblong" flange that the flywheel bolts to, it is an older, two pc seal block. The new cranks are perfectly round because th seal slides over the back of them and is then pressed into place in the rear of the block.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.