Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about a certain engine casting number that is going to be used in my 1967 Chevelle project. The number is 3855961. I have looked up this number on several sites and have gotten different results, just wondering if there are any guru's on this site that might set me straight. One site said that it could be a truck motor, another said that it's a '66 Chevelle motor, and another said that it was a 66-67 motor but didn't list what it was for!:rolleyes: Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ernie

·
Administrator
17,204 Posts
What's on the stamp pad -ie: 'engine id number' -as shown?

So far it's:
3855961 = 396 66-67 2 or 4 bolt

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
If you choose that block make sure you check to see if it needs a grooved camshaft.....I believe the 3855961 do require a grooved cam, where as the 67 3902406 block can use a standard camshaft....Good Luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you choose that block make sure you check to see if it needs a grooved camshaft.....I believe the 3855961 do require a grooved cam, where as the 67 3902406 block can use a standard camshaft....Good Luck.
Well, I just found out that the motor is not a truck motor.... Is there any benefit to going with the 3902406 vs the other? Don't know much about the grooved cam motors. I do have the option to put that motor in my car as well. The guy that is doing my restoration has 3 motors and the 406 is one of my choices. The reason that I'm going with the 961 motor is that it is freshly done, and has never been fired up. The other motor came out of a Camaro with approx 10k on the motor. 500.00 bucks more for the fresh one.

·
Administrator
17,204 Posts
They changed the oiling on the 406 so it doesn't need both the grooved cam journal and a grooved rear cam bearing.
If your going for 'correct' ,the 961 would be it but if you aren't the 406 will be fine.
Do you know what's been done to the 'freshly done' 961?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Ernie my 67 is a pretty early 67.... Aug./Sept. 66 build date...And it has (had...now resting) the 3902406 block with a cast date of H 10 6. Are any of the motors 4 bolt main? The 961 would be a fine motor you just need to install the correct rear cam bearings and have a camshaft grooved for it....Not a big deal, but you don't want to put a standard off the shelf cam in it. Ask the builder if that was done or if he is even aware of it needing that. I was under the impression the 961 block is more 66 correct. Good Luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They changed the oiling on the 406 so it doesn't need both the grooved cam journal and a grooved rear cam bearing.
If your going for 'correct' ,the 961 would be it but if you aren't the 406 will be fine.
Do you know what's been done to the 'freshly done' 961?
It's bored 30 over with new crank, pistons, bearings, etc. 280 Comp Cam. Just a mild motor....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ernie my 67 is a pretty early 67.... Aug./Sept. 66 build date...And it has (had...now resting) the 3902406 block with a cast date of H 10 6. Are any of the motors 4 bolt main? The 961 would be a fine motor you just need to install the correct rear cam bearings and have a camshaft grooved for it....Not a big deal, but you don't want to put a standard off the shelf cam in it. Ask the builder if that was done or if he is even aware of it needing that. I was under the impression the 961 block is more 66 correct. Good Luck
The motor is a 2 bolt main... I've got the guy that is doing my resto calling the guy that built the motor and I'll get all the info hopefully soon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On most sites that you check the 961 is listed as a 66, but I did find one site that said the early 67's had it also. This car is going to be an SS Clone, so I'm not too worried about it being super correct.

It's not going to be a frame off resto, but he is going to media blast the car and undercarriage to bare metal and repaint with PPG midnight black, and correct black underneath, new suspension, rebuilt engine, rebuilt muncie, rebuilt 12 bolt rear, power steering, disc brake conversion, tilt wheel, Vintage A/C, new brake lines, fuel lines, all new interior w/ rebuilt seats, new body bushings, all new felt, weather stripping, all new exterior trim, lights etc. Pretty much redoing the whole car frame on.

I'm excited!! The only bad thing is waiting till January to get it!!

·
Administrator
17,204 Posts
Ernie ,as your not doing a 'correct' engine ,why not start with a 454 and gain the x-tra cubes,HP & TQ?
If you don't get the 'fresh' one ,it wouldn't cost much more to build the 454.
You could also build a 496 and it would look the same externally as a 396.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ernie ,as your not doing a 'correct' engine ,why not start with a 454 and gain the x-tra cubes,HP & TQ?
If you don't get the 'fresh' one ,it wouldn't cost much more to build the 454.
You could also build a 496 and it would look the same externally as a 396
Key words are "It wouldn't cost much more"!!!! Not looking for a Monster motor, more of just a cruiser that I can romp on from time to time, take to Hot August Nights, and local cruises. I'm about 4k more than I told the wife I was going to spend!! I have zero margin for error left. :noway:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, what do you guys think... Black or Marina Blue? I've got it narrowed down to those two colors, and the wife wants the black.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What was your cars original color? check the firewall trim tag, it maybe a color you like...
but you can't go wrong with marina blue or black. If the wife wants black and I'm $4K over budget that would be my choice, just keep in mind you want to get your car super straight because black shows every flaw.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What was your cars original color? check the firewall trim tag, it maybe a color you like...
but you can't go wrong with marina blue or black. If the wife wants black and I'm $4K over budget that would be my choice, just keep in mind you want to get your car super straight because black shows every flaw.
White was the original color, but I just can't do white! The guy that is doing my car said that I shouldn't stress about doing black because when they are done with the bodywork it will be laser straight. Hopefully he is right!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts