Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys, ok this is what i got a 396/402 with the summit 238/248 cam, 4.56,3000 stall, wieand 7544 mani, ok so im wondering for the carb should i use one out the box and im good or should i get it custom jetted will i gain anything.

this is why i ask cuz i have a 750holley on the challenger and it keeps on poorin gas out into the buttflys towards the firewall, and it floods it out,
what could this be?
does it need to be rebuilt?
who can rebuild it?

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Sounds like the floats are set too high.
an out of the box 750 dbl pumper will be fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it worked always fine in the past till now, the other day it started up and then shut off, i had to bang on top of the side caps and it stoped drippin fuel and started up, and then drove it around almost all day then stoped at a friends shop and did a long smokey burnout and let go and it died and sure enough it was drippin fuel even with the car off,
were can i send it to get rebuilt, and what do they usally charge to rebuild one, or is it fairly easy to do at home
thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
The worse part about rebuilding a Holley is when they haven't been apart since new. Those gaskets can be so stuck, the best way is to use Permatex gasket remover to clean it up. Rebuilding them is pretty straight forward, the only thing you have to watch for is making sure the gasket in between the throttle body and base plate you use the correct gasket, and not to block any holes.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Mike, I just through a rebuild nightmare. It is pretty easy to rebuild the carb. You can even buy some carb cleaning acid and dip all of your parts into the bin and leave it overnight to get all of the gasket off.

If not, you can send your carb to Holley themselves! Just call them and they will give you all of the info. I read an article on how guys with original 1969 Holley's, have been sending Holley the carbs to get back into shape. So try them.

For your new engine, I like the Holley 4150HP 750 I got. There is a HUGE rumor going around that an out of the box carb is ready to run. In my recent experience, it WAS NOT READY. I couldn't get my car to start. Turns out, the Fast Idle and Air Bleed screws were way off from factory. These new DP's need adjustment and possibly different power valves. So heads up there too. But my new 750 DP is working great now and doesn't lower gas mileage too much. I went from 7.5mpg to 6.0-7.0mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts