Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an original block for my '69 Chevelle SS. I am certain its either a 350 or 375 HP car because it still has the original trans in it - and its an M21. I am going to build the car as an 375 HP now.

My car is a 06C build from Baltimore, third week of June, 1969.

I have found a 3955272, 4 bolt main block, that is a F 2 9 block, or June 2, 1969 casting, with a build date stamping of T0603KF. Which I believe is a '69 Chevelle 396/375 Turbo 400 block built on June 3, 1969.

Block is standard bore.

The block has a pretty big hole in the cylinder wall of number 3. It definately needs a sleeve.
Guy wants $1000 for it.

Is this a good date code block for my car?

Is this a good deal or not a good deal??

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - I know - a hole in the block didn't turn me on much.

But it seems like these 4 bolt main 272 blocks are going for over $2K in many places. Granted, they don't have holes in the cylinder walls.

But sleeves only cost between $100-200, I figured this was still a steal. Plus its a standard bore block still.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Run! That is way to high for a block that has a hole in it! Offer to take it off his hands for $50.
I agree with Chris, RUN!

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
I would offer the guy $250 and get it sleeved. Do you know if the block is also cracked? If it doesn't pass the mag inspection, it is likely an expensive paperweight. BTW do you work for GM (your handle kinda gives it away)? I am in the Detroit area and come across 4-bolt blocks every few months on Craigslist, etc. There's a guy in Warren who has (had?) a few 272 4-bolts.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
The block has a pretty big hole in the cylinder wall of number 3. It definately needs a sleeve.
Guy wants $1000 for it.
l:) Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard. Tell the guy good luck and no thanks. Ill go along with the 50 dollar offer also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I guess that answers that question....guess I'll pass!

Thanks for the info guys.

Mike

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
It cost me $150 for one sleeve. Just FYI.

You can decide if it's the block you really want and go from there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 69 4-Bolt block that I think may be from an L-78 Chevelle. If you want me to, I will check the dates and codes on it for you. It's located in Savannah, Ga. Send me a PM if you are interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts