Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:yes: Its been a while and I can't remember the correct dwell setting (points) and correct timing for my latest addition to my muscle car collection.Its a 68 chevelle SS 396-325hp (numbers matching)w/th400trans.Butternut yellow w/black stripes,Ivy gold bench seat interiorThanks to anyone who can answer this ?.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Just a precaution,the 4 deg btdc initial timing spec is ONLY CORRECT FOR A STOCK GM FACTORY 396/325HP CAM ONLY,NOT FOR ANY NON GM AFTERMARKET CAM.

99% of the time aftermarket cams are used even in high dollar resto's so keep this in mind if the motor seems soggy on the bottom end and has problems idling & seems to be running hotter then normal.

If you motor has even a very mild aftermarket cam they have a lot more duration then the very whimpy stock 396/325hp GM cam had and most aftermarket cams need approx 16-18 deg initial .

If you find you have an aftermarket cam and need to run 18 initial the stock mechanical adv in the dist will add too much timing to the 18 initial which will drive the total over 40 deg & maybe detonate which is bad.

So check the total if you run 18 initial and if its over 38 deg pull the dist to have the mech adv limited/recurved for 18- 20 deg max all in by approx 2,800-3k rpms to get 36-38 total.

Good luck.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts