Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Z/71 with a vortec 350 in it I am looking at replacing the engine soon and would like some opinions on building a 383 for it nothing to big just some more torque and hp. I have a 4 bolt 350 short block and I can buy a rotating assembly from jegs for about $750 I would like too still use the factory fuel injection and dependablity is a must. What is involved with this build just looking for sugjestions on which way to go would it be wise to just stay with 350 or go 383 I would probably like to stay around 400 hp/400tq.

Any help?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Try this site:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
There are a lot of decent mechanics and tuners there, a lot have converted to 383. As long as you choose the cam with the computer in mind, you'll be fine. I plan to build a 406 for my truck in the next few years.
Keep the Vortec heads but clean up the bowls and exhaust short turns. You'll have all you care to handle in a fullsize truck. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have a 1998 Z/71 with a vortec 350 in it I am looking at replacing the engine soon and would like some opinions on building a 383 for it nothing to big just some more torque and hp. I have a 4 bolt 350 short block and I can buy a rotating assembly from jegs for about $750 I would like too still use the factory fuel injection and dependablity is a must. What is involved with this build just looking for sugjestions on which way to go would it be wise to just stay with 350 or go 383 I would probably like to stay around 400 hp/400tq.

Any help?
My buddy and I just did a motor swap in his 98 1500, silverado, with that ht 383, 340ho, 435tq. Swap went pretty smooth. and the motor is pretty dam peepy, especially down low, when all that torque bites.....

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
You can use your Vortech Block to build a nice 383!

Here is a pic of an emissions legal 382 (4.0 bore x 3.8 stroke) I built last year. 100% brand new parts. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.