Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to buying a new motor for my '70 Chevelle. It currently has a tired 350 in it. The shop I will buy from put together a suggested build for a 350 with Vortech heads. I don't have the cam specs in front of me. He based the build on my budget, my car, and what I said I wanted. My car has a TH350 trans and 3.73 gears. I wanted a motor with low-end torque and quickness, basically the ability to smoke the tires and push you back in your seat a little. I am confident that the build he is suggesting would be what I am looking for.

However, his shop also has some pre-built motors. One is a 383 with World SR Torker heads, roller tip rockers, etc. It may be very close in cost to the Vortech build. I have always heard that the 383 is a "torque monster". So, is there a reason I should go with the 383 over the 350 Vortech? If the 383 is $600.00 more, is that money well spent? What are the comparisons or differences between the two builds? :confused:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
383 is the way to go for what you want. It has more torque everywhere then the 350 and you will never look back. The torker heads are just replacement stocker heads, they work ok but not quite as good as the vortecs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. You highlighted my dilemma- if the Torker heads are just average, is it still better to go with the 383 as opposed to the 350 with the better Vortech heads? The 383 is already built with the World Torker heads, so I can't really have a different set put on without defeating the point of buying this already built engine. I other words, I either have him build the 350, or buy the already built 383.

You recommend the 383 because it has a broader and higher torque curve, correct? Even with the World SR Torker heads?
Thanks,:p

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
What are the HP and TQ differences between the two engines.

I would look at that and then at the quality of parts he uses on each engine.

For only $600.00 difference I would go with the engine that makes the best overall power and has the best parts and that can accept future modifications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts