Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I'm going to pick up my buddy's 383 and plan on swapping it next weekend. His car has an electric fuel pump, so there's just a block off plate where the mechanical pump would be. I'm a little unsure as to what I would need for not only what mechanical pump to run, but what flow/gph it should be rated for, and what other parts it would need. Would I need just a pump and the fuel pump shaft? I'm not familiar with mechanical pump setups, I've only ever worked with electric pumps. I don't care about cost, but I don't need the most high end pump out there, I want a mechanical pump that's reliable and is suited for a 460hp~ 383. I don't plan on modding the engine any more than what it already has, so I don't need a high ceiling for more flow than what I need. It's a cookie cutter 383 build with RPM heads, duel plane intake, long tube headers and a 231/235 cam if it matters.

For simplicity, I'd rather have a pump that I could use rubber fuel hose with. However, the engine comes with a A/N fuel setup from his fuel kit. Could I use his fuel regulator with an adapter for rubber hose? I plan on converting over to A/N when I swap to a bigger gas tank in my truck, but for now I just want to reuse my saddle tank with rubber lines. Then in the spring I can do a nice A/N setup with the new tank. What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

-Ed

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Holley 12-327-11 110GPH pump will be perfect with a Pioneer #FPR-1936 fuel pump rod and a plate. I would run a regulator, its often fuel pumps put out more psi than they claim, so you can regulate it back down to about 5.5 PSI. There are fittings that allow you to use rubber hose and clamping it closed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thank you very much. That Holley pump, I assume it's made overseas? It seems to be well rated, so I assume it has a decent track record. It seems like exactly what I need, but I want to make sure it's reliable.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
If that engine has a roller cam, I would check to see what material it is made out of - you may need a fuel pump push rod made from different material than stock (or one with a bronze tip).

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Great, thank you very much. That Holley pump, I assume it's made overseas? It seems to be well rated, so I assume it has a decent track record. It seems like exactly what I need, but I want to make sure it's reliable.

Cheers
Korea, you can buy an Edelbrock 110GPH if you want american made. I used hundreds of these pumps a year and I have only seen 2 failures with a cracked diaphragm.

·
Registered
161 Posts
First you will need the correct fuel pump plate with the slot in it. Then like was said, if its a roller cam it may need the bronze tip pump rod. Comp cams makes one. And the Holley 110 pump is a good pump. I used both the pump and rod in my 355 with a hydraulic roller cam.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just bought the pump and a gasket this morning. Bracketchev70, what plate are you referring to? Is it something the fuel pump attaches to?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I just have a mechanical pump in my engine right now, and my buddy had an in tank electric pump setup in his Camaro. Thank you guys for all the help.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I have been running the Edelbrock 110 gpm (#1721) for over 6 years... Works fine.

My car has a 427 stroker small block and has turned a 12.34 at 110 MPH (with very limited traction) with this pump and an out-of-the-box 800 cfm Edelbrock carb...

I actually bought the Summit Brand SUM-250020-1 fuel Pump (less than half the Edelbrock price), and when it arrived, it was the Edelbock pump in the Edelbrock box with a Summit Part number sticker placed over the Edelbrock part number... Not sure if that's still the case...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You're going to need a fuel pressure regulator if you go with the electric fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The Carter 4594 elec pump, best there is, will last forever, & more than enough output to supply 500 hp.
No regulator reqd, internally regulated.
It is the only external pump [ ie, not submerged in the fuel tank ] that I am aware of that has the fuel circulating through the electric motor, cooling it & lubricating the brgs. No seal to leak either like brand H & clones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts