Team Chevelle banner

383 stroker vs. stock 454. which one?

27976 Views 67 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  70SSOBSESSION
I have a 70 chevelle with a 383 stroker, forged pistons, crankshaft,h beam rods,top end kit etc...puttin out around 520 hp. I know this one guy that has a 79 camaro with a stock 454 otherwise the intake manifold. He talks about it all the time but says his bigblock would own my small block is he right? I believe he is terribly wrong:noway:...well i just wanna know who would win?

Also..can i run a 8.2 10 bolt with my stroker?

CHEVELLE POWER:thumbsup:
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
1,283 Posts
I know this forum is heavily slanted towards the BB, but c'mon guys. He said stock. Stock '72 LS5 454 big blocks only made 270hp and it got worse after that. When people hear 454 they automatically think of the '70 LS6, but I'm doubting thats what the guy has.

· Premium Member
10,844 Posts
I know this forum is heavily slanted towards the BB, but c'mon guys. He said stock. Stock '72 LS5 454 big blocks only made 270hp and it got worse after that.
Actually a pretty good mix here.
I do like both SBC and BBC engines....have had many over the years. But is takes a lotta time, money, and effort to get a SBC, even a 383 to run with a mildly warmed-up 454. This kinda 454 will go into the 12s with street gears.

Seems the fixation here is horsepower. :sad: Wrong way to look at things in street performance. You need to look at high average torque AND getting the power to the ground right away, low 60' tiimes. Another thing is tune and tricks of the trade.

I'm not seeing the OP's "puttin out around 520 hp" :sad: sounds to me like a lotta other youngsters thinking they have something they do not. Got a parts list? Not saying you can't do it but not a kid's car on the street

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
I know this forum is heavily slanted towards the BB, but c'mon guys. He said stock. Stock '72 LS5 454 big blocks only made 270hp and it got worse after that. When people hear 454 they automatically think of the '70 LS6, but I'm doubting thats what the guy has.
270hp NET.....for 3 letters,NET is a very big word.

& like Kettbo (George) stated,all it takes is a little savvy tuning & a very little well chosen parts and a stock sounding 454 can make 400+hp.;)

It is well known here that the '72 LS5 is identical to the '71 LS5 which was rated @ 365hp. the '72s were DE-tuned to pass emissions.

I say the 454 whoops up on the 383.

· Premium Member
10,844 Posts
270hp NET.....for 3 letters,NET is a very big word.

& like Kettbo (George) stated,all it takes is a little savvy tuning & a very little well chosen parts and a stock sounding 454 can make 400+hp.;)

It is well known here that the '72 LS5 is identical to the '71 LS5 which was rated @ 365hp. the '72s were DE-tuned to pass emissions.

I say the 454 whoops up on the 383.
I'm just saying, do not rule out the 454.:)
He who hooks first will win :yes::beers:

Shot of my mild 454 launching last year....

or some vid
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=Bremerton8-14-09003.flv

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
I'm just saying, do not rule out the 454.:)
He who hooks first will win :yes::beers:
I agree!:yes: but even IF the 383 hooks better,it will have to out-pull the 454 in midrange.......

· Registered
3,015 Posts
Even if the h.p. is within 20-30, remember the big block is 200-240 lbs. heavier. Excess weight will add to understeer problems
Actually the small block is exactly 145 lbs. lighter when both had cast iron heads. I've weighed both in a '67 Camaro and the difference was 2740 lbs.(sb) vs. 2895 lbs. (bb). The car was a gutted race car. The small block has way better gearing than the BB Camaro so it should accelerate much better and be a couple hundred, or more, pounds lighter. It also must have a good set of heads to make over 500 h.p.

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
Actually the small block is exactly 145 lbs. lighter when both had cast iron heads. I've weighed both in a '67 Camaro and the difference was 2740 lbs.(sb) vs. 2895 lbs. (bb). The car was a gutted race car.
and the 454s massive torque negates the 145lb. weight difference.

· Premium Member
10,844 Posts
Harold,

Good response! I'm sure all but the show car and Numbers Matching guys have ditched the iron intakes and exhaust manifolds....could be more lbs full-up factory stuff but your 145# difference in hi-perf dress sounds right to me. Aluminum heads and WP would cut way into that weight difference....ok, I am moving away from the thought of the thread here.

· Registered
3,015 Posts
and the 454s massive torque negates the 145lb. weight difference.
The low compression 454s aren't nearly as strong as the 10.5-1 compression, LS-5 engines of 1970. Most all of the rats that fly have lots of compression. My friend had a 375-396 that ran low tens, it was rated at 11-1 but had close to 12-1 real compression ratio. His '71 El Camino had a 454 and wasn't very fast, high 13s with slicks, if memory serves me correctly. P.S..... That stock cam in the oval port 454s was originally designed for the 396 and really is too small for a 454.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
[/QUOTE]
I'm not seeing the OP's "puttin out around 520 hp" :sad: sounds to me like a lotta other youngsters thinking they have something they do not. Got a parts list? Not saying you can't do it but not a kid's car on the street[/QUOTE]

I know wat i have since it was built in a speed shop...I know at the end its just the dyno number and i need to still factor in the fact of how much power im puttin on the ground and hopefully ill beat the BB cuz i know how deadly they are. But the owner of the camaro dont know nothing about cars...he just bought the engine of a for 900$ and just changed the intake manifold and the valve covers...thats it! I've spent 2 much money for my engine along with my cars,suspension,tranny and i sure hope i beat him..i know i have the parts

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
out of curiosity....what are the build details?
One guy with a 383 that he says is putting out 520hp....& another guy with a 454.....that he says is stock:rolleyes:

thats about all we know.

· Premium Member
10,844 Posts
OP Cesar,
In trying to figure this race out, we have asked for details. You have provided none.
If it is a pro build, you should have the info.

Correct, a 70s truck 454 was not a 1970 high compression LS-5. But, throw on early heads and any but the smallest cams out there, and you have something pretty nice.
Paul '65lkey' here has some shaved early heads, 94cc....sure to wake up a smogger engine. The factory 454 cam was small in a 396, pitiful in a 454

· Registered
293 Posts
I say you and your friend go down to the track, make a few passes. Say best 2 outa 3 or 3 outa 5 wins. Meet up back at home,
loser buys the beer ... err uh Red Bull (forgot you're 18 :D), and call it a day!

If your that sure of your motors power, take him to the track and spank'em :boxing:

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
21 - 40 of 68 Posts