Team Chevelle banner

383 stroker vs. stock 454. which one?

27980 Views 67 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  70SSOBSESSION
I have a 70 chevelle with a 383 stroker, forged pistons, crankshaft,h beam rods,top end kit etc...puttin out around 520 hp. I know this one guy that has a 79 camaro with a stock 454 otherwise the intake manifold. He talks about it all the time but says his bigblock would own my small block is he right? I believe he is terribly wrong:noway:...well i just wanna know who would win?

Also..can i run a 8.2 10 bolt with my stroker?

CHEVELLE POWER:thumbsup:
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Only one way to find out: take em to the track and run what ya brung. ;) But theoretically, there are too many uknown variables. Variables such as rear gear ratios, stall speed RPM's (if both an automatic trans) vehicle weights, rear tire heghts, exhaust systems, transmissions used, cam specs, cylinder heads used... and the list goes on and on.

And then there's the driver skills too, and the suspensions used both front and rear, as well as the tire types. Even if you're making more power with your car, it wouldn't mean squat if your car sits there and spins the tires, and his car hooks the tires off the line real good. 60' times mean a lot in a drag race. And as far as hid 454 engine being "stock"...well...if I had a dollar for every time I was told that by other racers who had modified cars, I'd be filthy rich. :yes:

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im sure its stock, were both runnin th 400's and everythin in my engine is new...built at a speed shop..he has 2.73 gear ratio and i have a 3.73...both posi...anything else u need 2 noe 2 come to a conclusion.

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
Im sure its stock, were both runnin th 400's and everythin in my engine is new...built at a speed shop..he has 2.73 gear ratio and i have a 3.73...both posi...anything else u need 2 noe 2 come to a conclusion.
yeah,are you SURE your 383 is making 520hp? An awe-full lot of guys THINK theirs do but get royally spanked by 454s.:yes:

· Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Yeah, like Harold asked, what is his vehicle weight? Does he have a full interior in the car? Or is it a race car with only the driver's bucket seat in it? What about body parts? Does he have a fiberglass hood and glass fenders too? you have an advantage if he realy has 2.73 gears, but if his car is 1,000 LBS lighter than yours is, then that's a whole different ballgame.

And since there weren't any 454 engines in any Camaros, let alone in 79 Camaros, what "stock" 454 engine does he have? Is it a stock LS-6 454? If it is then he is only down by about 60 or 70 HP but likely has more torque, and must have less vehicle weight to propel. So in that case, it will boil down to who's car has the better suspension, and hooks better off the starting line. Chances are that if he really has 2.73 rear gears, then he doesn't have an LS-6 camshaft though.

You say that he has a different intake manifold? What about the carb? Do you both have headers and 3" exhausts? How about torque converters and stall speed RPM's of both vehicles? Like I said, there are many variables to consider. Will you be running slicks? Or should this question be posted in the bench racing forum? What mean is....does this mean that you're both really going to take this to the track, or is this just smack talk between you and him?

· Premium Member
2,407 Posts
I think you would win, Ceasar, because you have a Chevelle and he has a Camaro.:D

As the others have said, there are a bunch of things that would factor into who would win. I think it is safe to say that he would not "own" you, and from what you've posted I would put my money on you to take the win.

On the street, your 8.2 should live for a while becaue the tires will break loose before any damage is done. If you plan on racing at the track and with sticky tires, you may be pushing it and it may not live so long.

· Registered
3,015 Posts
I have a 70 chevelle with a 383 stroker, forged pistons, crankshaft,h beam rods,top end kit etc...puttin out around 520 hp. I know this one guy that has a 79 camaro with a stock 454 otherwise the intake manifold. He talks about it all the time but says his bigblock would own my small block is he right? I believe he is terribly wrong:noway:...well i just wanna know who would win?

Also..can i run a 8.2 10 bolt with my stroker?

CHEVELLE POWER:thumbsup:
The late seventies Camaros are extremely heavy, even with their small blocks they normally weigh over 3600 lbs., i'd look for this one to be about 4000 lbs. or more with the driver on board. A 3500 lb. well built small block to beat one rather easily, your aquaintence is retarded if he thinks a stock BB with those gears will beat your lighter Chevelle.

· Premium Member
10,844 Posts
2.73 gear was common back then. Z-28s had 3.42 if automatic or 3.73 if 4-spd. So if he has a Z-28...
'stock' 454s can be brutal if not totally stock. Basic deal with a small cam can take a 70 Elky well into the 12s...I did this last year. Pretty easy to do the same in a Camaro.
I must admit, I am curious what is in this "520" horse 383.

I just say whoever can put the power to the ground will win

· Registered
1,067 Posts
as long as the info were looking at is definitely accurate then there would be no owning done by the 454. With an honest 500 plus horsepower, those gears, at least a ballpark torque converter, and the ability to hook it up..... you should run 11's any day of the week.

if he is truly stock(and by stock....i assume its a run of the mill stock 454), then he isnt even in the same ballpark.

· Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Both cars are street cars full interior...just lookin 4 some street action.
And HELL no it aint the ls-6...its out of a truck.....

I just dislike CAMAROS....
Street action NOT cool. FYI street-racing discussions on this forum get deleted quickly by the moderators. Do it at the track, keep it safe and legal.
Ditto on the 'stock' 454, do you reallly know what he's got in it? Big blocks are torque monsters, but it boils down to who can hook the power to the ground better.

· Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Ditto on the 'stock' 454, do you reallly know what he's got in it? Big blocks are torque monsters, but it boils down to who can hook the power to the ground better.
This here^ is the bottom line. Use some drag radials and make sure you take the air pressure down to 17 PSI and do a good pre-race burnout atleast into second gear. If you can't hook, then you'll have to walk it outta the hole with half thottle until you're into second gear. Yeah, the track would be a better place. If you know the guy, and you're concerned about winning/losing, then you might want to crawl under his car to see what he has for suspension in both front and rear. If you see something like Cal Tracs in the rear, then he has probably out some $$ into his suspension that he hasn't told you about although if he really does have 2.73 gears, it might not even matter

1 - 20 of 68 Posts