Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too sure if this is the right forum, but I'll try here first I suppose.

Just looked at a nice looking 383 short block someone is selling. He's agreed to $900. It's a basic 350 block, 2-bolt main (I posted the ID # in tag team), looks like it's been zero-decked. Cast iron crank, "Stage-1" rods (as he kept referring to them), and nice looking flat-top w/ 2 valve reliefs forged pistons. Don't know the cam specs yet, but it's a hydraulic flat tappet. Balancer and flexplate come with the package.

I know a forged kit goes for about this much balanced, but he says he has receipts for the parts, and that it was assembled by a machine shop, balanced, the whole nine.

Lastly, it looks like it's been sitting a while so I realize it has to come apart, sent to the machine shop to double check everything, but is this as good of a deal as it sounds? What should I check? Oh, and everything is brand new except for the block.

[This message has been edited by 68Sedan (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
If it was assembled right and all of the parts are good - yes.

Just to give you an idea, it cost me $602 just to get my 327 block hot tanked, cam bearings installed, cylinders bored and honed, rods reconditioned, crank polished, and reciprocating assembly balanced. I had to assemble the engine myself. That doesn't include pistons, bearings, cam........

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
As the engine accumulates miles, the big end of the rod wears. Not only is the big end hole bigger, but it is also no longer round. When they recondition rods, they seperate the rod and cap, machine the flat edge to make the hole smaller, then reassemble and hone the hole round again. They should also install new bolts. This has nothing to do with balancing or casting flash. This process just ensures that your rod bearing clearances will be correct( assuming that your crank pin is the correct dimension).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.