Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use a bolt on counterbalance for a neutral balance flywheel with a 383?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
The McLeod billet aluminum and billet steel flywheels are all neutral balance. You just add McLeod's bolt-on "counter balance weight kit" part number 560222 to make them externally balanced. We've been using these flywheels for many years with great results, never lost a weight.

What is your engine year and rear main crankshaft seal type?

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
When I've needed an EXternal balance flywheel, such as for a 383, I have my machinist UNbalance a neutral balance flywheel simply by removing metal as needed to achieve the necessary balance, as below. I DO NOT understand why this is not done more often!

This is a 153 teeth flywheel for the 383 that's in my 51 Chevy.

I had the same thing done to a neutral balance 168 teeth flywheel for the SB400 in the 56 Vette.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a pre 86 350 with a scat crank. Picked up a 68+ m20 that was behind a 427. Got a 621 bell and a neutral balance gm flywheel with it. Guess I have to take my motor to the machine shop anyway so have them remove weight from the flywheel sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's a pre 86 350 with a scat crank. Picked up a 68+ m20 that was behind a 427. Got a 621 bell and a neutral balance gm flywheel with it. Guess I have to take my motor to the machine shop anyway so have them remove weight from the flywheel sounds like a plan.
Or have it balanced neutral so it can use a 350 flywheel.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
a 427 is a neutral balance flywheel, so is a 350. At least up to some certain year. Anybody know offhand what year they started doing the 350 with the counterweight welded to the flexplate?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts