Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok after all yall's replies to my q's im wondering if the 383 would be worth the extra $ since i don't have much at all. so im trying to justify buying a stroker crank/rods/block i already have a short block kinda built but the crank had a rust stain under 1 rod bearing (need to be polished or is it ok)

i know i have beaten this to death but this is it since im almost broke and still need the little parts to finish here's the specs w/ the differences between my block and his

355 vs. 355 decked/aligned/o-ringed/notched
kb silvolite flat tops 8.9 vs 9.6 CR
441 fully ported, swirl 2.02 1.5 valves
comp 270H cam (224dir. 470lift 110sep.)
performer RPM
edelbrock 600 (i know i know too small)
headers 2 1/2" pipes

i still need rocker arms,hardened pushrods (for guideplates)harmonic balancer,(flywheel if i storke it),and gasket set. so im pushing it but i would wait for spring if the HP/TRQ diff. is worth the added $$$ any idea what kinda differenc there would be???

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Banned
486 Posts
John, I have been following your engine build up since you posted the pictures of it on the stand.I say use the new engine that you got ,why not,its brand new!Put your new engine in and then you can start saving money and finding the parts to build up a 383 or what ever your heart desires.tearing apart a brand new engine to build something that you cant afford to build makes no sense to me IMO. good luck on whatever you decide to do Dave

------------------
team chevelle#196
69 turbocharged 350
texas

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
John,

I'm with turbodave. If money is tight, I'd use the 355. If the rust on the journal is real light you can polish it out yourself. just cut a piece of wet/dry 600 sandpaper to match the journal. Lube the paper with some oil. Wrap the paper around the journal. Wrap a shoe string around the paper a couple of times and pull the ends back and forth, causing the paper to go around the journal. This will only work if the rust is very, very light, as in barely visible. Otherwise you are going to have to take it to a machine shop. Be sure to clean the crank very thoroughly if you try to remove the rust yourself.
To answer your original question the extra cubes will make about 1 lb-ft per cube, so roughly 33 extra lb-ft. This is just a rough generalization that is commonly used. It's nothing concrete.

Good Luck,

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.