Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have had several chevelles over the years and most of them have had a VIN that starts out 13637. I have someone claiming that '36' indicates a malibu only and no way an [email protected]@#!!

I have a buildsheet that is as original as me and it is an SS!

Any help here guys?
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geeeeeez, what an airhead; about the buildsheet that is so original the vin on it is 136370k. Guess I'm just flustered; someone calling me liar!
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
What you don't give us weister is the year.

Depending on the year, an SS could in fact be on the Malibu series of "36" as it was an option. From 1966 to 1968 the SS had it's own series and was numbered "38". Then in 69 it went back to "36" or possibly "34".

Hope this helps

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
235 Posts
You could not tell a SS from the VIN in '70. 36 stands for Concours/Malibu/El Camino 8 cyl. and 37 stands for 2 door Sport Coupe. If you have the build sheet, that with several other indicaters in the car itself, (12 bolt rear, 3/8 fuel line etc) should be support that it is a true SS.

I wouldn't sweat what your "friend" said.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396
L34

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys I know it REALLY is an ss, documentation back to 1972 when fakes weren't even thought of. But this 'person' says I'm giving "false information" because only a 37 or 38 is a true ss. I don't believe a 37 existed for a malibu did it?
Dave

·
Registered
235 Posts
As I mentioned before 37 stands for 2 Door Sport Coupe. The 36 in your number stands for a Malibu 8 Cylinder. You had to have the 36 for a SS in '70 because they all were Malibu's (or El Camino's) with a 8 cylinder. The 37 could vary ( say if it was a convertable it would be a 67).

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396
L34

[This message has been edited by DaveK (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The only time a car where 137 was in the VIN would tell you its an SS was in 65. In 65 if you bought a 6 cyl SS it would begin "137"
Starting in 66 all SS's were V8's(as everyone knows) so it was 138 for all SS's 66-68. Then in 69 it became an option(as mentioned about)
I'm sure your 70 is a real SS, don't worry about it.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG (Homepage)
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
171 Posts
weister1,

So many people read or hear a piece of either passed on info or don't finish reading the article to see exclusion at the end of it. These seem to be the people that frequent the cruises & shows and consider themselves "experts" or "authority in the matter" in their own eyes.

Boils down to this: If you a satisfied that your car is an SS (due to the documentation & visual backing of certain components), then its an SS.....period.

Got to love these types that are everywhere.... I had a this, and I know that, only to make themselves look like the idiot's that they have become. Just nod your head and say "really?, I better look into that then" and move on...........

Enjoy your SS,
Greg

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC member#610

"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it"
"Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it"

My Homepage
New Pic

ChevyWorld.net

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The guys are right IMO.
pre '69: 138------ is an SS, there may be others as noted above.

In 1969 the SS became an option applicable to the series numbers below.

In 69: 134-- & 136-- could be an SS.
(see http://cdnclassics.chevelles.net/canmodel.htm#69 for details on 69 models)

'70 - '72 (and up?) 136---- only could be an SS.

Could: meaning documentation is required to anthenticate. I hope I didn't miss anything.

I think the previous post in this thread re:37 = 2dr hardtop was referring only to the 4th & 5th digits of the vin, but maybe I misread....

Ron

[This message has been edited by Bow_Tied (edited 03-28-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.