Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, me and my father just bought a '66 Chevelle malibu last weekend, its been our dream since i was a little kid and we finally have the time to restore it together. It has a rebuilt 355 with a comp cam 268, Holley 4-barrel, and an edelbrock intake manifold. Sorry, but thats all i really know right now, the previous owner's sending me the build sheet in the mail.

Anyway, we bought it an drove it over 700 miles back to our place without any problem, so its definately reliable. But when we arrived home, i tightened the TV cable bc it wouldn't downshift at WOT, and it worked great! It was very quick, not so much off the line, but above 3000rpm she'd really scoot. But about 100 miles of driving later, its still shifting correctly, but suddenly the engine just isn't putting out any power. At 4000revs, when normally it would be pulling strong, it just leisurely accelerates down the road. Doesn't rev up any slower than it did before, but it's clearly putting out much less power :(

Me and my father have fairly limited knowledge when it comes to engines, wee're learnin as we go, so i'm at a loss of what the problem could be :-/
If anybody has any ideas about what could be going on, please help us out.
Thanks alot :)

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Is the engine speed increasing but the vehicle speed isn't when you get on it?
Or is the motor speed still relevant to the road speed?

If the engine speed increases but the car doesn't accelerate the way it was before maybe there is an isue with the trans or converter.

If the motor just isn't making power but seems to be running okay... the timing might have slipped. If you haven't checked it I would start there.

Also fuel filters can cause this type of issue too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine speed increases at the same rate as it originally did, but the vehicle speed doesn't increase like it used to.
Do you think that i might have messed up something when i adjusted the TV cable? Could that have had a negative effect on anything?

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
The engine speed increases at the same rate as it originally did, but the vehicle speed doesn't increase like it used to.
Do you think that i might have messed up something when i adjusted the TV cable? Could that have had a negative effect on anything?
Yes and yes if the TV cable is for a TH200 or TH700. An incorrectly adjusted TV cable that does not generate sufficient line pressure in the transmission can burn up the clutches as quickly as 100 miles. When that happens, the tranny will slip.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
He stated he tightenedthe tv cable to get it to down shift better/faster so that would to me mean the tv cable was pulling more/more travel so there should be more line pressure in that case.

So with that said his trans should not he slipping due to tightening the tv cable more.

As forllosing power,many tings could be happening there for sure as already stated.

But 1st look for easy things befoe getting too deep like has the throttle linkage slipped or become loose resulting in the throttle not seeing wide open when you think it is.

And if thats the case then the tv/trans cable would not be pulling as far either resulting in lower line pressure andd then the trans could possibly slip in that case.

If the motor seems to still be running smooth and well but is suddenly down on WOT power but doesnt seem to be starving for fuel either its likely not anyhting serious and could be somthing up with the carb/linkage/tuining somewhere.

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, thanks alot guys. I loosened the TV cable this afternoon an took her out for a drive, and i have no idea why, but it worked like a charm :) Everything's back to normal, if not better. Thanks again 4 yalls help.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
I bet when you tightened the tv cable doing that restricted full/WOT and thats why the motor seem'd to suddenly loose power.

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I bet when you tightened the tv cable doing that restricted full/WOT and thats why the motor seem'd to suddenly loose power.

Scott
Right, the cable should be all the way out & tight at WOT, but not restrict it at WOT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts