Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a freshly rebuilt .060 350 4 bolt undecked shortblock. Cast "12cc dish I think" stock pistons .040 in the hole. Will be using a stock permatorque type gasket. By my calculations will be somewhere around 9.7-9.8:1

Fresh 305 601 casting heads. Stock 1.84/1.5 valves, screw in studs, pioneer RV943X springs. Trying my hand at porting them.

I know this is not an ideal setup, but it's what I have and would like to get the most out of it.

Thanks for any advice, Kevin

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Sounds like my Elky's engine but I have 416 heads on my dished-piston 350.
Your CR estimate is about what I came up with too...before I accounted for some chamber work to support the 2.02/1.60 valves I have...

Which car is this going into? Gear, converter, stall?
Probably something like a 60103/268 Voodoo
I keep hearing the runner size will not support a lotta rpm (any more than another stock 4-v head BTW)....so concentrate where the head will do its best work..in the midrange.
This comes on a 110 LSA from Lunati. I had something like it ground on 112 LSA for my Elky, just have not put it in.... thought here was to make it a little more PDB-friendly and have a bit better manners for a daily street engine.... 3.42gears/built th350/2500 stall standing by....

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine will be going in a thirdgen F-body backed by a 700r4 W/ a transgo kit and yet to be determined stall & rear gear. Topped by a rpm intake and prolly a 3310 holley.

I've read these heads will not rev past 4k, and also that this is a myth. Have no personal experience to back this up.......but will :D

George, I was thinking the same cam U mention ( 60103 ). How pump gas friendly is your engine?

Thanks again, Kevin

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
170-172 cc after porting ...and i have ran them to 7500 rpm they will do more with a good solid..I have picked up more rpm and power with a bit of chamber layback on the intake side , after they were already unshrouded .....There is power to be had in them chambers.

mine end up at 61-62cc...

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I understand the 601s have better chambers than the 416
I am a hobbiest, not a circle track engine builder.....
I figured going from 76cc to around 60cc chambers was a no-brainer.
LOOKING at the 416 ports.....seemed the same as the 76cc head intake ports....
I'd guess 160cc
That "won't rev past 4000" is a myth.
Mine are not ported but the paperwork shows enlargement of the bowls under the valves and chamber relief to accommodate my 'big' valves.

With my combo last year, no issues with mid-grade fuel and a lotta advance. UNKNOWN cam in the engine....most say "sounds like 327/350 horse cam." Over winter, my engine rattles unless I pull some timing....still working the issue. The custom "60103" is in a box under my bench.....

I will tell you the engine is one torquey SOB. My 15.0 ETs are due to no traction....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts