Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock throttle/trans kick down cable bracket wasn't used on this build. Wouldn't work with the RPM Air Gap. Ordered a new throttle bracket from Jebs.

But I didn't even think about the trans kick down when I ordered this.

*** Now the question I have is this. Can I just push the cable all the way into it's shielded outside shell and secure it there. And not even bother with a kick down. I'm sure I did this years ago...
Thank You...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Without the cablke connected, the trans will shift "really funky"
My own experience with this was the trans shifted very harsh and very early. I had to shift it manually all the time. I don't think I had the cable pushed in all the way tho, just resting loose. It was a long time ago.

It kinda looks like a way might be found to attach the cable to the bottom of that bracket. The lower arm of the throttle is clear, it should be able to be made to work. You just need a metal bracket with the right size square hole in it.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mike,

HERE is the throttle kickdown bracket that you need.....
And that should bolt on under the throttle bracket..Same bolt connection.
In the mean time can I just lock down the trans cable...

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
It depends on where you set it, TH350 we have ran a few times without kickdowns, no issues, you still have to set the kick down other wise it will shift early or late

The last TH350 we messed with was over 5 years ago, if memory serves you pull the kickdown out all the way and it will shift high and hard

You could fabricate a bracket for it

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on where you set it, TH350 we have ran a few times without kickdowns, no issues, you still have to set the kick down other wise it will shift early or late

The last TH350 we messed with was over 5 years ago, if memory serves you pull the kickdown out all the way and it will shift high and hard

You could fabricate a bracket for it
I was thinking about chopping up the stock one and just use the piece I need.
But I removed it about 15+ years ago from that Gremlin I should you I used to race. But I would be damed if I can remember...

I just thought of something...:eek:...I have a 350 Turbo manual in the pickup...:clonk:...But I'm sure they will say to use it...

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
And that should bolt on under the throttle bracket..Same bolt connection.
In the mean time can I just lock down the trans cable...
Yes on the connection.

It is used for kick down to lower gear only, unless you feel you need it, it is not necessary and you will have to shift manually to down shift. That is how mine acts.....

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked it up..Detent linkage..lol
It's self adjusting but needs a bracket and throttle body to adjust.

I will see if I can mod the old bracket..if not it's a 10 day wait from Jegs.

BTW I was in my local speed shop today...You guys think you have it bad with high prices...

They were telling me today with the rising cost of fuel. They will be adding a surcharge to there products. Something like a hidden tax. But a fuel surcharge.

I saw this on there wall when I was there today.
Jegs sells it for $60.69...My local speed shop had a sticker on it for $97.00 bucks.

Can and US dollar maybe on par or close too it. But the shipping is now the big problem.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
maybe get a kickdown cable for a 74 Monte Carlo or Chevelle- it goes to a second hole on the gas pedal inside the car, i think about 1/2" below where the throttle cable hooks up. it wouldn't be that yard to make it work on an older car.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Mike, I know AED sells a add on bracket that would hang below your current aluminum bracket.There # is 804-271-9107 if you need them. I run a th350 without the kickdown hooked up. I shift manual at the track and have had no issues, if it causes a problem I have never noticed it? It just has the factory cable on it with the factory spring at the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.