Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 ElCamino w/ 400/350. The engine has performer intake w/ Holly 750 DP. The previous stock kickdown (detent) cable was not connected. I've rebuilt the engine and trans and have a B&M replacement cable that I'm trying to hook up. The GM manual says to put the carb in WOT position, position the end of the long slot in the bracket that attaches to the carb on the carb pin, and snap some clip closed where the cable goes thru the holding bracket at the carb. The B&M cable is not quit the same and if I position the end of the long slot on the bracket on the carb at WOT, this is really pulling on the trans cable (I know there is a spring inside the trans that pulls the cable back). In fact the trans spring/cable-pull is much stronger than my return springs on the carb. I've even shortened the return springs a couple of times to "strengthen" them but still, if I set this thing the way the book shows, the trans cable is what will be adjusting my throttle plate, not the idle adjusting screw. Has anyone else had this situation? Thanks in adavance.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,119 Posts

Sounds like you have the cable bracket for a 2bbl. It locates the cable assembly further back and won't work with a 4bbl. Likely this is the reason it wasn't hooked up before. Find a 4bbl bracket and install it, should loosen up the cable. I think there's about 3/4" inch difference.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tommob (edited 11-26-98).]

·
Super Moderator
12,958 Posts
Edelbrock sells a cable bracket that will solve your problem. It bolts to the intake manifold bolts on the drivers side and will accept the throttle, transmission, and cruise control cables. Each cable is adjustable and it really does the job. I dont have the part number here at home but we sell them every time with the performer manifolds. It is available in gold or chrome.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,119 Posts
Bill

Can you come up with that Edlebrock part number? The stock brackets are getting a little hard to find and I don't have time to scrounge the wrecking yards like I used to. I'd appreciate it.
Tom

G

·
Jegs has the Throttle Bracket for 33.99 or so, and it's part number 350-8036.
1-800-345-4545
I've ordered from them several times and like the quick tech support that I've been able to get. I've ordered tranny parts, wheels, and I'm going to order my intake from them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I don't really think that the bracket is my problem though. I have some type of aftermarket bracket that hangs off of the left rear carb stud that seems to hold my throttle and kickdown cables normally. My main problem is "adjusting" the kickdown cable. The attachment to the carb is below the pivot point so it actually relaxes tension on the kickdown cable when you step on the throttle. As I had mentioned, the service manual implies that you adjust this cable so it's tight when the carb is in WOT. This will pull up on the spring inside the trans. If I do this, the trans spring is so strong that my carb throttle return springs can't pull the throttle back to idle position. Add to this the fact that the end of the kickdown cable is not just a simple hole, but a long slot which implies that some amount of play/adjustment/tolerance is expected. Sorry, but I'm still confused. Thanks again.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,119 Posts

>>The attachment to the carb is below the pivot
point so it actually relaxes tension on the kickdown cable when you step on the
throttle. As I had mentioned, the service manual implies that you adjust this cable
so it's tight when the carb is in WOT. This will pull up on the spring inside the
trans. If I do this, the trans spring is so strong that my carb throttle return springs
can't pull the throttle back to idle position.<<

Sounds like you're attaching the kickdown cable above the throttle shaft instead of below it.

It goes on the arm hanging down from the shaft, this makes it pull on the cable when the throttle is opened.

If you have a Holley there's a good chance that there's no little peg to hook it on. You need to find the bolt-on version of the peg. I've seen a small bolt (like #12) doubled nutted into this spot several times. It's a little awkard that Holley didn't provide this part, after all these years you'd think they'd have learned. IMO, this is the reason the BG carbs are enjoying such popularity.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the above mentioned isn't the problem look to see if your kick down cable bracket is adjustable. Maybe you have it adjusted back to far.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This might be old news but I had the same problem, I tried the GM part # and the Holly but ended up fabricating one from a 2bbl bracket, had to cut and weld. Find someone with a mig welder and save yourself some time and effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.