Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fella at autozone (drives a hyundai) has a 350 never run and built by a fella that owed him $. he has no need for it and would like a computer(has no internet experience)i have an older PB pent75 w/ a few upgrades as a 2nd computer i could trade him. he doesn't remember much about the engine (had it a while) except for the Keith black pistons. say the fella said he had $3000 into it. but i know nothing about it no distributor balancer, or front accesories just kind of a long block w/torquer intake. he wants a good computer but i think he may take this older one since the 350 is not doing him any good anyway.

i would have to tear it back down (good first time learning experience?) to make sure it's right and also measure all the stuff to find out what's in it. cam,crank,pistons etc.

should i do it? since i really have NO idea if it is even any good. may get him to even throw in the engine stand.

also is there a way to measure cam, pistons, rods, crank, etc. or an article on this? thanks sorry soo long but I NEED A MOTOR and don't know enough or what to look for in a non-running engine. jk

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
166 Posts
A p-75? I'd trade my old P-133 for a tank of gas and a coke! You can get a celeron 400 computer for around $500-$700, which would beat the P-75 silly. My roommate had a P-75 last year, so I'm pretty familiar with their (lack of) capabilities. If you don't want the motor, gimme that guy's number. I'm serious....

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like a good gamble to me. A P75 isn't worth much anymore unless you're hooking him up with a lot of extra, state of the art stuff & a good monitor. Either way, I say go for it. The worst that can happen is that you find the block is cracked & unusable. But even then, numerous parts of the engine can still be reused to outfit a new block. The best that can happen is the vast experience that you will gain by tearing it down, rebuilding it & seeing it come to life before your eyes. Then it will all be worth it, for sure. I brought my first engine back to life when I was 16 & will never forget the feeling.

------------------
Phil Wise
67 SS Convertible
(now on the down slope of the resto curve)

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
John,
Go do it tomorrow morning! A core is worth more than a P75! At least you have a nice clean motor to learn with. Go for it! Jeff.

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Malibu Convertible
See it before- www.littlecars.com/car1.jpg
67 ElCamino - Pics coming soon
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Registered
158 Posts
DO IT! A P75 will be great for newbie to get started, and the 350 will be great for you to learn about engine building.

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
A computer is one of the few things I own that is worth half as much as it was a month ago - each month! Grab the 350.
I've got two full tower 133's that won't even make good boat anchors, at least the 350 will.

·
Registered
336 Posts
even if its a stock rebuild, if its never been run its worth 10X what that computer will bring.. do it.

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the more i see computers like it in pawn shops for $250 the more i think i will, ok now this is going to take some smooth talking but i think he would do it. Damn im already excited about having an engine (ar ar ar ar) on my back porch (tim allen grunts)im finally going to do it, tear down a motor and put it back together (just hope i don't end up with pieces left over

------------------
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's OK to have pieces left over, they're just "spare parts." It's when you don't have enough pieces that you have to worry....

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok he will do it if i throw in a Ping putter and a TI driver (still working on that) here are the #'s from the block 3970010 and 39GM and F247 and 010. and the head has 333682 and L17. any idea's what year etc. these are?? also has am RPM intake (new) holly fuel pump and summitt short water pump with it and the engine stand. he says it's .030 over, keith black pistons and a 270 comp cam. i pulled the valve covers at his house and it has std. rocker arms, but the rods have little balls on the ends not just rounded (high lift cam maybe that's why???) what yall think

------------------
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
166 Posts
The intake is worth more than the computer. If he takes the deal, take the motor and run home laughing. A friend of mine just bought a P-120 with monitor for $75. The Performer RPM is worth almost twice that...

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quit stalling and get the deal done. The block decodes as a standard 69-80 350ci with either 2 or 4 bolt mains. I could not find the head # you gave but there is a 333882 head which is a 74-80 76cc head. Like everyone has said previously, some of the individual parts are worth more than the computer.. Wait too long and someone will get it out from under you..
warren..

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
deal is done
i will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon (damn heavy) and trying to clear a space in my small shed cough,cough i mean "work shop" :'

HERE WE GO WHOO HOO
hey i will take pics of my progress if yall want(for the rookies like me) and post em on a site for ez access.

thanks all

------------------
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
what a deal...the engine stand is prob worth more than the computer!!

wish i could join you for this project..havent done anything like this for 30 yrs (when i was a kid)....46 now and forgot everything i learned back then..

hava ball!!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
chev-hell, way-to-go.

Pickup a copy or order "HOW TO REBUILD YOUR SMALL BLOCK CHEVY" it's an excellent book
which will guide you though the tear-down/check-out of your newly obtained prize.

Good luck.

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IN MY SHED ARGH ARGH ARGH im about to cry i think. link below pics of it. thanks guys for all your help and im gunna start tearing it down come this weekend (maybe sooner im anxious)

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg John Krenn
307/200-4r (soon to be 350 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
John,
Congratulations, but are you sure you want to tear all the way down? Did he assure you that it would run? If so I would pull the pan, valve covers and intake and look to see that the cam, pistons, timing chain, ect have been replaced as he said and then put it back together and drop it in and start it up. If you completely disassemble the motor you would be relieving the seller of any responsability for the claims he made about it. You could be learning just as much by tearing down and reassembling the 307. Just my opinion, if it is your first you won't know what your looking at anyway.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
phi[email protected]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i can't and really wouldn't hold the seller to anything because he didn't know much he got it from another person who is no longer around, as a bonus though i have a few reciepts show the parts bought in 95 a few at a time so it's probably been sitting for a few years. and i'd hate to go to all the work to put it in and something be wrong internally so as i tear it down i will educate myself as to what to look for . i'd also like to know what exactly is in it, pistons,rods,cam,crank,valves,etc. i plan on keeping this car forever so i might as well

one bad thing i found a reciept for roller rockers but these arent't, so i guess the guy kept or sold em before he traded the motor to my seller.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
307/200-4r (soon to be 350 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.