Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying 71 Chevelle, The seller says that is a true SS with a 350 in it. I was just wanting to if a 71 Chevelle SS came with a 350 in them. If you need anymore info. you can E-Mail me at ([email protected]) Thanks.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Yes, the 350 was available with the SS option package beginning in the 1971 model year. There were two 350 engine options, a 2BC and 4BC Q-Jet. Prior to the 1971 with the exception of 1964, the SS was a big block only car.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think the 4-barrel 350 was rated at 270hp and the 2 barrel was at 245hp. Had a friend that bought a 71 about 13 years ago, it was a light green, no stripes, buckets with no console and a 350 2 barrel carb. Had only 43,000 miles on it same color inside as out. It also had the domed hood and a 10 bolt.

·
Registered
446 Posts
One note- the 65 SS cars had small blocks as well, they only made 201 rare and famous Z16 BigBlock SS cars in 65.
To answer the question, yes, 71 SS 350's were common. A protecto plate or build sheet is the only real way to document a true SS car after 68.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
bigbenn, under the alternator there are two sets of numbers. The one that begins with "T" is the engine built day and the last letters are for the type of engine. The last six numbers on the second set of number should match the last six numbers of you vin#. If they do match, the Chevelle has its original engine. Go to the passenger side if it has an auto. transs. and check the vin #. It's located close to the pan. Check the last six numbers to see if they match your vin#. If all the numbers match, you then have a matching number car.

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 07-18-99).]

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 07-18-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.