Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1967 chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first time posting on this site, so i hope i put this in the right spot. I'm currently rebuilding a 67 chevelle that came with a 350 that apparently ran. Eventually, im planning of doing a LS swap but to keep the budget lower, i want to run the 350 for a couple of years. I did a compression test on all cylinders and i am getting 170 psi on all of them. So i opened it up to inspect pistons/cylinder walls and was going to put new seals/gaskets. Everything looks fine exept for my #3 wall which has a bunch of small scores that run almost the whole lenght of the cyl. My nail catches on a bunch of those marks near the top. Since it has good compression, would it be worth replacing all gaskets and putting this back together, since i dont want to invest much in this engine? Thanks for reading.
20210226_171747.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
If your just going to put it back together and run it for a few years ball hone it, rings, bearings, oil pump, and maybe a valve job and send it! Or just find a 5.3 locally and start earlier then you originally plan. After all it seems nothing goes as planned when it comes to old cars!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Since you don't want to invest much, if you haven't got the pstons out of the bores yet and the compression test was good, then go with it.
Don't hone and re-ring, just leave it. It obviously had something gritty get in there for a short period of time and score things up, but it was a long time ago, it has run 10, 000+ miles or more just like it is,,,,that damage wasn't critical, just a percentage loss.

Open up the bottom and check the bearings, if they look good leave them, change only the rear seal and torque it right back together. Give all the piston skirts a look from the underside, make sure there isn't a cracked skirt on the scored bore.
Otherwise,
Clean tt up, re-seal it all, bolt it all back together and add a mlld cam if you want, freshen the heads and maybe even do a little port clean-up in the bowls if you are handy, fresh valvesprings and maybe fresh rocker arms and stick it back i the car.

It'll give you 3 years of time to square the LS away as long as you don't get rpm crazy with it.

·
Registered
1967 chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you don't want to invest much, if you haven't got the pstons out of the bores yet and the compression test was good, then go with it.
Don't hone and re-ring, just leave it. It obviously had something gritty get in there for a short period of time and score things up, but it was a long time ago, it has run 10, 000+ miles or more just like it is,,,,that damage wasn't critical, just a percentage loss.

Open up the bottom and check the bearings, if they look good leave them, change only the rear seal and torque it right back together. Give all the piston skirts a look from the underside, make sure there isn't a cracked skirt on the scored bore.
Otherwise,
Clean tt up, re-seal it all, bolt it all back together and add a mlld cam if you want, freshen the heads and maybe even do a little port clean-up in the bowls if you are handy, fresh valvesprings and maybe fresh rocker arms and stick it back i the car.

It'll give you 3 years of time to square the LS away as long as you don't get rpm crazy with it.
Thats what i wanted to do but i was thinking that maybe it wasnt going to last or it was a dumb idea. Thanks,Thats my game plan then.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I did the same thing - the 350 in my Chevelle was pretty tired and leaky, but I wasn't ready to purchase a new engine. I basically did a poor man's overhaul - replaced all of the gaskets, timing set, front seal, lifters, and picked-up a mild cam. It was still an oil burner, but ran decent for several years until I could afford the new engine.

jim

·
Super Moderator
13,016 Posts
Bring the piston all the way to the top and post a pic of it in the area where the scratches are.

·
Registered
1967 chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your just going to put it back together and run it for a few years ball hone it, rings, bearings, oil pump, and maybe a valve job and send it! Or just find a 5.3 locally and start earlier then you originally plan. After all it seems nothing goes as planned when it comes to old cars!
Thanks. How often do oil pumps fail on these engines?
Bring the piston all the way to the top and post a pic of it in the area where the scratches are.
I had checked already, the piston comes flush to the top of the block, so you wont be seeing the scratches anymore. But i can still take a pic tomorrow when im in the garage, if you'd like.

·
Registered
1967 chevelle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the same thing - the 350 in my Chevelle was pretty tired and leaky, but I wasn't ready to purchase a new engine. I basically did a poor man's overhaul - replaced all of the gaskets, timing set, front seal, lifters, and picked-up a mild cam. It was still an oil burner, but ran decent for several years until I could afford the new engine.

jim
That makes me feel better about leaving it like it is.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,198 Posts
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks. How often do oil pumps fail on these engines?
Basically never. You'll notice they're well lubricated. The only ones I've seen actually failed had junk run though them. usually trash from worn out timing gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts