Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
Crate motors are hard to beat for price. If you want a true handbuilt solid motor, go visit Daly's Machine in Omaha and have them build you an engine. Top notch guys who really know what they are doing. Talk to Mike about what you want and what it's going into and for what purpose and he'll steer you right. He might even recommend a crate motor himself if you want to stay within a tight budget.

There are also a number of great guys on this site who can build a killer combination for you such as Wolfplace and BillK.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Nothing wrong with hypers at this hp level. The Ebay engine is a generic engine meaning it's built out of all low quality parts. Pro heads I'm guessing is Pro Comp and quality is pretty low there. All the pro pruducts stuff all there is pretty low quality also.

I'd definitly go with the Year One engine. That's a good deal for what you are getting. And, I'll bet the hp claims are a lot closer to reality. 12/12 Warranty isn't bad either

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I would talke to Mike AKA Wolfplace or Mark he has motors on ebay I forget his Name here but both would be more then happy to get you hooked up with a very stought small block. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
THIS IS A TWO PC REAR SEAL BLOCK BUT HAS A ONE PC RUBBER PAN GASKET UPGRADE GREAT FOR A BETTER SEAL.
Huh? :confused:

If you want a complete motor for $2900 to drive around then....
Dont plan on abusing it very long or making any kind of real power.

Im sure theres some legit guys selling stuff on Ebay but you wouldnt catch me dead getting one unless I knew the person.
Warranty is offered but if it came down to it, how are you going to enforce it should there be an issue? Cost of shipping?

Always been a skeptic from getting burned so many times but honestly I feel its a crap shoot.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your input guys, I really value your opinions:thumbsup:
Let me ask this, how much do I have to spend to get a 425-450 hp SB,
that will take some abuse. I'm guessing 5-6K.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Thanks for all your input guys, I really value your opinions:thumbsup:
Let me ask this, how much do I have to spend to get a 425-450 hp SB,
that will take some abuse. I'm guessing 5-6K.
You could buy a 454 BBC for that much money.
This is from Summits web-site.

Based on the Gen VI 4-bolt mains with 1-piece rear main seal blocks with approximately 8.75:1 compression, 425 hp at 5,250 rpm and 500 ft./lbs. of torque at 3,250 rpm.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL-12568774&autoview=sku

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
GM made adapters to convert 2 piece to 1 piece rear seals.

as for the engine, better to buy local or a crate. Check local engine/machine shops. Often those guys have stuff or know someone selling, plus lately, there's been some decent deals on people who had the work done, but now can't afford to pay the guy and now they're selling it on consignment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.