Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Found this great site a while back and have been coming here more and more often. I finally had some questions I couldn't find answers to, so here's my first post.

I have a small journal 327 short block I would be grateful for any opinions regarding it's potential.
Here are the spec's:

Block:From pad in front of head):F1209EB, Casting # 3858174.
Cid:327
Bore:4.040
Stroke:3.25
Rod Length:5.7
Balanced crank kit form SpeedOMotive bought in 1983/84. Crank and rods, shot peened and magged.
Pistons:Badger, p/n B530 stamped on top (Email from wally at badgerpistons.com: The P530 is a forged piston dome height .125 Comp: height 1.672, comp ratio 11.25:1, Rings (2)5/64 and (1) 3/16). He couldn't give me any info on the B530 p/n.:(
ARP crank and rod bolts.
Milodon windage tray p/n 32100.
Milodon deep 6qt oil pan.
Cloyes double roller timing chain.

Any ideas about a hp and rpm limit for the combo above? Seems like I read some where that about 550hp is the limit for a small journal block with ARP main bolts/studs.
I know the hydraulic cam (listed below) in it right now limits me to 6500rpm's.

Cam:Hydraulic Crower P/N 00201 Grind/N 201HJ. (checked for ware, still in great condition)
Intake & Exhaust Duration:adv-284 degrees. At 0.50-226 degrees.
Lift:0.497
At 0.50 lift:
Intake opens:7.0 btdc & closes:39.0 abdc.
Exhaust opens:47.0 bbdc & closes:-1.0 btdc.
Lobe separation:110
ICL:106

I have 3 options for heads: 461's, 462's and 70cc Edelbrock rpm's.
I have 2 options for intakes: The original Torker and rpm air gap.
I will most likely run the rpm heads and intake.

Carb will be a 650dp. Any idea's on a good starting point for jetting with the RPM combo?
The heads, intakes and carb are parts I have now, and are my only options.

Ignition:MSD6, MSD distributor and Accel coil.

This post turned out to be a little longer then I planned. Hope it's clear enough and not confusing:)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I agree, the heads are a good choice and I think you will have a nice little engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any estimates on a rpm limit for the short block, minus the hydraulic cam?

Bill, how did the hp and torque curves look? Any thoughts on a shift point? I realize software dino results can only be ball park at best, but it's a place to start.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Are you asking what kind of power the motor will make or how much power the short block can make?

350hp would be a really good estimate on what you have.

What the short block can take is a loaded question. It may or may not last at 550hp, I feel the pistons are the weak link at this point.

Now if you are planning on trying to make 550hp, you would need tp update the complete induction assembly along with a healthy roller cam. It's not easy to make 550hp with a 327 without turning it pretty high rpm.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Bobby.
What I would like to do is work out some safety margins both the engine and I can live with.
Right now I don't plan on going anywhere near 550hp. But if at some point in the future I decide to add some kind of forced induction, it would be nice to have some numbers to stay under. For example, if 550hp is the block and main cap stress limit, then 475 might be a good number to stay under.
As for rpm's, after reading around the web and on this site, it seems the 327 could live all day at 6500.
Would the upgrades in this short block allow it to live at 7500?

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Dennis, If you pm me your email I will send you the info of Cam Quest. The engine built power all the way to 6000 and torque maxed out at 5000.
If you are serious about forced induction, I would start fresh with a Dart block and complete forged rotating assembly. They have become very affordable, This of course is just my opinion.
Yes there are stock SBC living to 7500 and even with forced induction but it is always a crap shoot. Some make it and some don't, it is all on how much you are willing to let the dice roll!! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bill, I pm'ed my email to you. A Dart block would be nice to find under my Christmas tree this year, but I don't think Santa can afford it right now. The rotating assembly is forged. It was a balanced kit from speedomotive. The crank and rods were shot peened and magged. Now that I think about it, I think the rods were ground as well. To late to check now, it's in the car and the top end is going on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.