Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It been a while since I've been on, I've got a quick one for some of you: I recently rebuilt a sb 327 for my malibu. I noticed after is first time out that I had some oil dripping from the flywheel dust cover (hole near the lowest point). I'm fairly certain that I have a rear main leak. My question is this: Leaving the crank in, is there anything, or any tricks that I need to do to assure that it won't leak again? When I built it, I put a small dab of silicone sealant on each end of the rear seal halves to prevent this from happening. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Maliblu,
There are several possible problems when installing a rear main seal. I have made a quick drawing (dont criticize, I did not feel like getting the drafting gear out) that you can view here : members.thebee.net/bkoustenis/seal.jpg
I usually also put a real thin coat of Fel Pro blue sealer (not rtv) where the cap sits on the block near the back.
Also, make sure you get the double lip type seal. Fel Pro makes both types but I think the double lip one gives some extra insurance on older motors where there may be a slight groove in the crank from the old seal. If you need the correct part number let me know and I will get it for you Monday AM.
Last but not least, before you even take it apart, take a mirror and make ABSOLUTELY sure it is not coming from the back of the intake or the distributor and running down into the bell housing. Many a real good mechanics (and myself) have been fooled by this. Look real close. Also make sure it is not the rear oil galey plugs. Hope this helps !

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 04-03-99).]

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 04-03-99).]

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Patrick,
I try to make people think I do anyway !
Mr Bill

·
Registered
339 Posts
If this is a four speed, slim possiblity this is a leak from the front seal on the tranny. Runs down inside the bell hsg. Be thick oil, but hard to tell sometimes. tom

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just have to say that this site is the best! Great picture!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Malibu,
shoot man I thought chevy's were supposed to drip there.Every one I owned has!After looking at that wonderfull picture billk left us I see I been doin it wrong all this time.It is great to have this kind of feed back on chevy lover stuff.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would really make sure that this is where your leak is coming from. Remove the dust cover and clean everything up. Run the engine for a few minutes and then recheck. I'm hoping that it's something easier to fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.