Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at '66 last night that has a 327 (not in the car). I took a pic of the pad at the front of the engine on the pax side, it had 2 numbers kind of stamped over each other.
How typical is this and anything to be concerned about with the engine not being a 327?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
TDR could be a later truck engine. You need to get the casting number off the back of the block to tell what it really is.

TDR 1972 350 175 4 conv. cab, a/t
TDR 1980 350 155 4 conv. cab, a/t, Cal

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll work on the other numbers. The 'TDR' kind of threw me off when I was trying to research this, it didn't seem to line up with this being what he was telling me, but I may have missed something.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
thats not a 327 block. but a late 70's on up 350 block. note how small the stamp pad is

Reactions: Steve R

·
Registered
8,144 Posts

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Thanks for that info, wasn't aware the size of the stamp pad could be an indicator.

well the casting number is the only way to be 100% sure but for a quick look it will do. Chevy changed that sometime in the late 70's not sure on the year. i think it had to do with where it was cast. because about the same time they moved the casting foundry to Mexico

·
Registered
820 Posts
well the casting number is the only way to be 100% sure but for a quick look it will do. Chevy changed that sometime in the late 70's not sure on the year. i think it had to do with where it was cast. because about the same time they moved the casting foundry to Mexico
check the bore , also make sure what year it is ,67 and back had small juornal ,and 68 and up had large journal:beers:

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
check the bore , also make sure what year it is ,67 and back had small juornal ,and 68 and up had large journal:beers:
Did you miss the op stating it's a 010 block. That rules out any possibility of being a 327 block.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,318 Posts
Chevy made large journal 327s in 69-70 but I don't know if they were in 010 blocks. These were not performance engines, cast LJ 327 cranks.

if you really want to know what size it is measure the stroke. With one piston at TDC measure one of the ones that's at BDC, dial caliper is fine. If it's about 3.5" down it's a 350, if it's 3.25 it's a 327.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
They were making both large and small journal 327's in 68.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
What are you building Drew? You are looking at a 327 that sounds like it is probably a 350 and on another thread you are looking at buying what you believe is a Muncie m20 or m21 but is actually a Saginaw. Are you putting a car together or just buying parts for later?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Get the casting date as shown in the pic I posted and the year will no longer be a mystery.
GM never casted a 327 with a small stamp pad

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What are you building Drew? You are looking at a 327 that sounds like it is probably a 350 and on another thread you are looking at buying what you believe is a Muncie m20 or m21 but is actually a Saginaw. Are you putting a car together or just buying parts for later?
I was thinking maybe both, but called it off on a '66 Chevelle, which was advertised with a 327. The whole car is in pieces, lots and lots of pieces. There are some good things about it in my mind but it looks like a ton of work (little to no rust tho) and I don't have any place for it. It would not be a quick kind of thing for me to get it on the road. The guy selling is a younger guy, (30-ish), was planning on a restoration with his father but his father passed some time ago and it's been sitting, torn apart. I was looking only due to initial cost, $5500.

I have a '70 Monte Carlo in the driveway and a '71 Monte Carlo in pieces, in the house and in the garage, that I tore apart and I'm starting to try and find parts for it. It's a 350 block with a 350 transmission, was looking at converting it to a 4 speed, which is why I was looking into a Muncie. I was not feeling any kind of warm fuzzy when I went over to talk to the guy while my lack of Muncie knowledge was shining through in my post. I get the feeling he knows it isn't a Muncie, whereas the other guy with the '66 seems more like he just didn't know it was a 350. Of course, I could be wrong on both.

I'd say 90% of the work I've done on this Monte, I've never done before and haven't gotten to any body work yet. I've stubbed my toe more than once figuring things out, but eventually get things figured out. It's nice having 2 or 3 good resources, this being one of them.

I like the '66-67 Chevelles, like most folks do, but they're just harder to come across. I may have a line on a reasonable $$ '67, just nothing firm at this point.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just for reference.
If memory serves me correctly the older engines had a 2 letter code until the change in 68 to a 3 letter code.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Just for reference.
If memory serves me correctly the older engines had a 2 letter code until the change in 68 to a 3 letter code.
Yes and no. 66 Impala BB engines used a three letter suffix code

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Yes and no. 66 Impala BB engines used a three letter suffix code
On some of earlier three letter codes, the third letter represented which brand of carb the engine came with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts