Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If while waiting to accumulate all those thousands of dollars to build up a big bb, I wanted to play with my little old 307, what could I could I add in the way of intake, carb, and cheap headers. All this would be about is to do something! As opposed to sitting around doing nothing waiting to get the big money together. I'm talking cheap here, not more than a couple of hundred bucks. Brands, and sizes would be appreciated. Thanks, Keith

------------------

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Most things to wake up a small block work well on a 307: 1st is headers & duals, (Summit stuff works isn't that much) 2nd is carb & intake (600 holly vac works fine, plus u can find them cheap used, as well as intakes). I'd go MSD for the ignition. The other benefits are these components could be switched to a better engine when u can afford it!
Money permitting, put in a torque type cam. That motor won't see the far side of 5 grand, so concentrate on a "RV" style grind to maximize the low to mid RPM performance-which should already be good due to the small valves. Good luck!

------------------
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174

·
Registered
283 Posts
What Sid said.
Harley

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
You did not indicate that you plan to rebuild this 307 (bore, turn the crank), but if you should, and you have or can get a cast 350 crank real cheap, it will drop right in. The extra stroke and a .030 bore should give you about 336in. This will give you a 3.905 bore and a 3.48 stroke, which means your 307 would be just .095 smaller than a 350! Then build it like a moderate street 350 and you would have a very nice engine.

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Keith, if it were me I'd hunt down a stock 4bbl setup, redo the carb, and bolt it on, unless it's already a 4 bbl. Buy some cheappie small tube 1 5/8" Summitt headers ( I think they're like $100 or something ridiculous ). If you buy a new mani I would use the Z/28 type I see in PAW ads all the time, $120. But don't buy new. Srounge man. Parts scrounging is all part of the deal!
A 600 Holley or Q jet is all you need for carb.

You don't need anything like an MSD IMO. Geez, I'm talking about getting you set up with 4 bbl and headers for under $200 bucks. The MSD WILL NOT add horsepower unless your ignition is bad anyway. And I wouldn't buy a used electronics unit. A switch to a used HEI distrib would be a better use of funds.

Get off your a** and start scrounging for a stock 4 bbl setup, with Q jet. Heck I've got a fresh rebuilt Qjet I'll ship to you for $70.

Don't forget about the gaskets, RTV etc, that you'll need. Paint too.

Just do it.

( that's the closest thing we have to a Drill Sergeant chewing you out for not getting off your.....)

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-17-99).]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Flow Tech headers at auto zone for $79 or so which is what i used and im happy as for the carb/intake i'd find a used edelbrock intake and carb and rebuild the carb (cheaper than dirt and ez too) should be into it for 200-250 and boy my intake and carb sure look good with the headers. jk here's a pic below of it before the paint shop got it (they have had it for 4 weeks now arrrrgh) jk

------------------
Current picture of car in paint shop members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle2.jpg John Krenn
Ft.Worth, Tx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.