Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 el camino SS 4spd which i was told when i bought it that it had a 305 high output engine.Can anyone tell me what the HO stands for,Should it have HP heads?differant manifold?It does have a 4bl but i haven't even checked yet to see which one it is.

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 chevelle 2dr
65 el camino
64 el camino
etc.
team #241 gold

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hardly Operational?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Seriously, I have never seen any data concerning any special versions of the 305 until the L-69 (180 monte, 190 F bodies)came out in 83. The 305 4 barrel was rated at 155 HP for the LG4 vs 145 HP for the LG3 2 barrel. "high output" There were suposedly never any factory performance engine options of any kind for either the 78-87 El-camino or the 78-84 Malibu. The L-69 never was installed in those cars. Some 78's and maybe 79' el caminos and malibu wagons did have the 175 HP 350

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had an 84 Trans-Am that had a 350 HO. I forget which letter code was in the VIN but there was a letter for a 305 and one for the HO version.

------------------
Frank
69-454-456
Gold Member # 216

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Frank And Frank.I didn't post the question as a joke but I guess everyone has a little comedian in them. I'll be checking the numbers today but a freind had a visual last night and swears it's a 350 but the book will tell us for sure

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 chevelle 2dr
65 el camino
64 el camino
etc.
team #241 gold

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
there is a place on the web to put in your vin to find out what exactly it came with "vindicator" or something like that.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
According to the Parts catalog only one 305 engine was optional in 1979, rpo LG4 305 w/4-bbl carb, not high ouput.

The 5th letter of the VIN is the engine code;
L26 200 6 = M
LD5 231 6 = A
L39 267 8 = J
LG4 305 8 = H
LM1 350 8 = L

·
Registered
834 Posts
A friend of mine had an 87 Monte SS with a supposed HO 305. Let me tell you there is nothing High Output about them. As far as we could tell, the only difference was the decals and a larger air cleaner. That's it.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
172 Posts
65ss.
I wasnt kidding when I said H.O. stands for High Output. Weather or not anyone is impressed with the power of that engne is irrelevent.
Now, maybe the guy was just saying it was an H.O. Heck, I really don't know what chevy put out or when but, when you say H.O.305/350/454/502 , that means High Output.

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 08-20-99).]

·
Registered
341 Posts
The only HO 305 that I'm aware of are the cease fire and tuned port injection engines. The SS Monte Carlo and Elkys were a little higher performance, but this was due mainly to a high stall torque converter and a better rear axle gear, and exhaust. Not bad considering the weight and the basic time period, but not that fast either. Drop a 350 in there now...... tom

[This message has been edited by tom3 (edited 08-20-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was kidding when I said Hardly Operational.
It's just that I have to haul a trailer load of them all the way to San Antonio every year. I don't get enough parts off them to even bother takeing them apart anymore. I have been building small blocks for the last 10 years and haven't sold one yet. PITA.
Harley
Note:
High Output is letter rods and 1.94 valves with a 4 bbl carb and larger aircleaner.Sometimes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you guys were kidding,I don't have any use for 305s either but just had to know what the HO stood for.I will be taking the numbers off tonight to check the book to see what it really is but you right a 350 is the only way to go.Thanks for the comments and keep them coming 'cause I think this site is GREAT.

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 chevelle 2dr
65 el camino
64 el camino
etc.
team #241 gold

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I agree with everything that's been said here. The 305 H.O. was an RPO L69 and did also come with a hotter camshaft, as well as a better exhaust system & air cleaner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.