Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 305 "vortec" heads that I will be putting on a 74 short block 350. I know this is the wrong way to do it and not recomended but this is temporary so I can move the car around. I have the manifold, rockers, valve covers, bolts, and pushrods from the heads. My questions:

1. What gaskets do I need? Which head gasket 305 or 350?

2. Should I get gaskets for a 74 engine or 96?

3. Heads are all together so I am just bolting in place so which pushrods should I use?

Thanks for the help guys. I always get good info here

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
JMHO
350 head gasket
96 intake set to match you different intake and head 'vortec' runners
use the 96 rockers and pushrods (probably the same stuff)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool but I think the problem I am running into is that in 96 GM was using a plastic intake manifold gasket w/ o-ring inserted b/c of the plastic intake. I will have to double check that or would anyone know the year they went to a composite intake so I can get the previous year gasket.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
just get the GM intake and head gaskets for a 96 pickup.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
i've tried gettign a set of those 305 vortec heads- but all the junkyards i've called said that the circle track guys buy up all the vortec 305 and 350 heads as soon as they get them in.
that just makes me want them even more.
and everyone keeps saying that the 305 vortecs are junk heads...

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
a lot of people say a lot of things ,without even trying it for themselves..peanut portes are junk, Qjunk i mean jet , AFB carbs suck, holley sucks and so do thermoquads, headders are no good for nothing unless you like leakes ..
Whatever...them factory heads have proved to go 250,000 miles with no problems and running hotter than 195 degrees
Try 210 to 220 F.

STOP LISTENING TO HEAR SAY:D

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
a lot of people say a lot of things ,without even trying it for themselves..peanut portes are junk, Qjunk i mean jet , AFB carbs suck, holley sucks and so do thermoquads, headders are no good for nothing unless you like leakes ..
Whatever...them factory heads have proved to go 250,000 miles with no problems and running hotter than 195 degrees
Try 210 to 220 F.

STOP LISTENING TO HEAR SAY:D
and how do i know i can trust you? i mean, coming onto the internet and saying that everything you read on the internet isn't necessarily accurate...
but, if you say it's true, it must be true. you did, after all, post it on the internet...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've tried gettign a set of those 305 vortec heads- but all the junkyards i've called said that the circle track guys buy up all the vortec 305 and 350 heads as soon as they get them in.
that just makes me want them even more.
and everyone keeps saying that the 305 vortecs are junk heads...
Do you know what the circle track guys are using the 305 heads for? Like are the running 305 blocks or bolting them on 350 blocks?

You may want to hit up a boat yard. I used to work at a boat dealership and all Mercrusier engines are vortec engines for the most part. I got them free but they needed to be cleaned and a valve job. but still hundreds of dollars less than buying iron vortec heads.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
the roundy rounders put them on anything from 355 to 406 claimer motors to get cheap compression with stock cast iron heads.
i never knew they put 305's in the Mercruisers- i thought they were all 350's and 502's.
learn something new every day.

G

·
Imho, 305HO, -601 heads are about the BEST heads that are out there that can be used to increase our low compressioned later 350 engines b/c of their -12 cc dished pistons!

But you HAVE to cc them b/c they vary from 52 to I figure up to 58 cc's??

Mine cc'd at 53 and 55.

You build a later 350 engine w/ flat-top pistons and imho, no more than install a pair of cheap Vortec's you will have the the best bang for the buck.

Read up here on Vortec's and you will see what I mean!!

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56505

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
I don't think your heads are 305HO heads??

Later, whatever heads, but........

pdq67
everyone says they are junk- probably because no magazines have done any articles praising them like their bigger brother 5.7 vortec heads- but i have a feeling that the 305 vortec heads that were made from 96-2002 or whenever are probably the best 305 heads ever made, and maybe the second best factory small block heads ever- only surpassed by the 350 vortec heads. the 96 vortec 305 made more power than the 95 TBI350 did, after all.
and since the vortec truck head was just a the iron Caprice LT1 heads adapted to the old school small block, i bet that the vortec 305 heads were just the Caprice 4.3 L99 heads adapted to an old small block. that little 262 ci V8 was rated at 200hp as installed in those big cars, which is just 10hp less than a Caprice 350 was in 93, but with 88 less cubic inches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts