Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My friend likes my car so much, that he wants to buy something similer.
He found a 77 El-Camino in decent shape, with a 305.

What i would like to know for him is..
Does the 305 have decent power?
Can you light some tires with it? (My firend want to know.. he saw me do that once)

Is the 305 a good reliable engine?

Thanks for any replies.

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My Malibu has a 305, it runs ok, but you wont see any power out of it stock. That Elco probably has the same engine, a 305 2bl with 140hp. How little power you ask? My car can chirp the tire going around a right hand corner if you nail it at the right point, thats all the tire frying it can make.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
Everyone wants their car to look stock and haul ass, my car looks ass; hauls stock.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has a 4bbl carb.
I think it is slightly modified.
From the factory it had 160hp.

------------------
Shai

TC member #1278

[This message has been edited by ChaosMalibu (edited 12-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
4bl might help a lot, and im pretty sure my car is far from top order. I know how hard it is for you to find american car stuff over there, I you friend should probably buy the elco. Its probably one of the bigger engines you can find over there, and you can always modify it if you want.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
Everyone wants their car to look stock and haul ass, my car looks ass; hauls stock.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tell your bud to get it Shai. Any bolt-on stuff for a 305 will fit any early to mid small blocks so it would be a great rolling project. Can't be that many Caminos in Israel.

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hi Shai. I have an 81 Malibu with a 305 4 bbl. The motor runs great and makes a nice cruiser but mine is rated from the factory at 145 HP and in a straight line it won't spin the tires in the rain. I love the car but a powerhouse it's not.

------------------
Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.

Chevytalk.com Moderator

·
Registered
319 Posts
although my 307 is probably a little different, but i doubt the 2 ci's make a big difference. can't light them in a straight line on dry pavement unless i brake torque. other things also factor into the equation, like tranny and rear end gearing.

------------------
Derek Ohlgren

68 El Camino w/ 307 and PG
It's not fast but it shoots flames out the tailpipes!

·
Registered
279 Posts
While we're talking about 305's... I have a stupid question.

If a 305 and 350 are identical externally why can't you bore a 305 to a 350 (or can you)? They have the same stroke, use the same heads and everything else is identical. So shouldn't you be able to bore the 305 to a 350... or are they cast weaker?

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Registered
430 Posts
The cylinder walls aren't thick enough to bore to 4". Also the heads are different. They use 1.72 valves or 1.84 for the higher performance rigs. They usually come in either 58 or 60cc chambers too. Larger valves can hit the cylinder wall or be extremely shrouded by the cylinder wall due to the small bore size. I have an 87 formula that has a 305. Currently have 220,000 miles on it still runnin. They are fairly torquey for a small motor, and dont rev very high because of their poor breathing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chevymad:
The cylinder walls aren't thick enough to bore to 4".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what doesn't make sense to me. If the blocks are identical on the outside, how can the one with a smaller bore have thinner walls?

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elkyD68:
unless i brake torque. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean brake torque?

------------------
Shai

TC member #1278

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ?:
That's exactly what doesn't make sense to me. If the blocks are identical on the outside, how can the one with a smaller bore have thinner walls?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the smaller bore blocks have bigger cooling passages between the cylinders to take up the space. Don't 400 blocks eliminate some of these cooling passages to get 4.125" bore?

Shai, a brake torque is when you hold the car still with your left foot on the brake, and push the gas with the right. Least thats what we call em over here. If your car has enough sauce, you will be rewarded with a stationary burnout. YeeHaww!

chris

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bulb122:
Shai, a brake torque is when you hold the car still with your left foot on the brake, and push the gas with the right. Least thats what we call em over here. If your car has enough sauce, you will be rewarded with a stationary burnout. YeeHaww!

chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OHH.. a brakestand burnout.
Now i got it.
It's not my car though. It's the 77 elky chris

Thanks.

------------------
Shai

TC member #1278

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check this out
http://chevellepages.com/folingo/gunaburn2.jpg

Yup thats a 305 in there. With a edelbrock 2101 performer and a qjet, duals and a bumpy cam it goes pretty good. Beats having a 6 or no motor at least my car sounds fast and I can drive it while I build my 454

I usually only recomend bolt on upgrades on a 305, heck I still have my stock pistons with over 200k now. 350 cores are pretty cheap here so why not just rebuild a 350 instead. Of course if you want to keep a numbers match car intact, the 305 can be beefed up with forged pistons etc.. Heck there is even a 331 stroker kit available same process as a 383 just different balancing and special pistons and they use the 5.7 rods too! Since small block chevys must be pretty rare in the mid east, the 305 can run world products SR-torquer 305's Vortec heads( need to be shaved or use dome pistons due to 64 cc chambers) or the L-98 aluminum heads found on ZZ4 motors or also avail seperatly from GMPP or found on L-98 /tpi 87 up vette motors. 305's run a 350 crank that is balanced for the smaller and lighter 3.73" pistons. The max overbore is no more than 0.060 and 0.030 is safer. The 305 has a totally seperate block casting with larger water passages. Car craft did a 305 vs 350 shootout that proves the small bore limits breathing, but you can get over 300 horses if you run 1.94/1.5 valves which is the max for a 305.

Yes that pic was a brake torque, if I run normal tires not my 275/60-15's it will make a small spin by mashing the gas.
------------------
Frank W
G-3 Chevelles Rule
74 Laguna Type S-3 Warmed over 305
4 bolt 454 now in garage 3.42 Posi
90 Mustang LX Notch 5.0/5 speed daily driver
Homepagehttp://www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Club Page clubs.hemmings.com/bearingburners

[This message has been edited by 73Malibu (edited 12-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 73Malibu (edited 12-24-2001).]

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I had two '77 305 cars and liked 'em both. One was an Olds Omega (came from factory with Chevy 305). The other was an Impala.

Both would spin one tire in a turn, but not from a dead stop. Both had two barrel carbs. Both got from 17-19 mpg.

The Omega was fun to drive and eventually got rewarded with a healthy 350 and sub-frame connectors. Then it was really fun to drive.

The Impala was just transportation, but it was very reliable transportation.

Both '77 305's lived to a very high mileage.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 11-24-01)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
279 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bulb122:
I think the smaller bore blocks have bigger cooling passages between the cylinders to take up the space. Don't 400 blocks eliminate some of these cooling passages to get 4.125" bore?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would make sense.

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Premium Member
28,818 Posts
A good friend of mine bought a 1980 Malibu a few years back..stock 305 4bbl,TH350 trans,2.29 rear.We added an 'ole L79 327/350 HP cam,1.6 stamped steel rockers,Performer RPM intake,headers/2.5" exhaust w/Flowmasters and a Q-Jet.Tranny got a shift kit and a 2500 stall.Threw in a used Monte SS 3.73 posi.For a 305,the overall combo sure was a lot of fun.I don't think he spent $500 on everything.The convertor,rear,and intake were used,but everything else was new.
Eventually,he built a nasty 406 small block for it,but again,that little 305 sure moved pretty good.Basically,we took a high 16 sec. car,and after we where done,it was a low 15 sec./high 14 sec. car.Seat of the pants made you think the car was faster,but it wasn't.And it sure had no problem spinning the tires with gear/convertor combo.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 12-24-2001).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.