Team Chevelle banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Thanks for the interest. As for where I am, I’m all over the place. The more I work the more comes apart. Not sure what I posted, and where so maybe one thread is what I should have stayed with. Ok here goes, I think the th350 tranny is original. No on original engine. Has a 283 that I sold to the same uncle I got the car from. Bought a 396 already to replace it. More demo. Trunk lid is not original. Hood is not original. Funny, my uncle bought the car just for the hood to stick on his 68 chevelle non ss. (picture of uncles car first, then all my car). Tires not. Steering wheel not. Shifter not. Still a lot of original parts to some good some not so. Oh and two cents are welcome just pm me for my address and it will get done that much quicker. Enjoy, I do.
Interesting photo of your "Trim Tag", given your Baltimore-built car's body number precedes mine by just 91 (see below photo). Both were July 1969 cars. The "L" on the bottom line on both our tags indicates both cars were born as SS cars, meaning your car (if indeed an SS) did not come with a TH350 transmission, given all SS396 Chevelles with auto trans came with the TH400.

Attachments

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The tranny in it might have been changed by my uncle. He couldn’t remember, but now is a th350, so must have got swapped sometime. Have access to one from cousin. Fender holes and header panel holes fit emblems, door panels, above glove box, original cowl ss hood, and a few other things make me think it’s a ss, but you know how that goes. Hood now pictured . Going back to original Cortez silver, black vinyl top, black interior. Not sure what a L78 is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
The tranny in it might have been changed by my uncle. He couldn’t remember, but now is a th350, so must have got swapped sometime. Have access to one from cousin. Fender holes and header panel holes fit emblems, door panels, above glove box, original cowl ss hood, and a few other things make me think it’s a ss, but you know how that goes. Hood now pictured . Going back to original Cortez silver, black vinyl top, black interior. Not sure what a L78 is.
L78 was the option code for the (somewhat rare) 375 HP 396 engine, which was the top of the line engine for SS 396 Chevelles from 1966 to early in the 1970 model year, when Chevrolet discontinued that engine in Chevelles. There is a guy on this site, Andy from North Carolina who tracks, analyzes and records 1969 Chevelle Trim Tags and VIN numbers. He and other SME's believe the "L" code on Baltimore and Kansas City Chevelle Trim Tags indicates such cars were built with the SS option. There is no GM documentation for this but it seems to be more than coincidence at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Thanks for the interest. As for where I am, I’m all over the place. The more I work the more comes apart. Not sure what I posted, and where so maybe one thread is what I should have stayed with. Ok here goes, I think the th350 tranny is original. No on original engine. Has a 283 that I sold to the same uncle I got the car from. Bought a 396 already to replace it. More demo. Trunk lid is not original. Hood is not original. Funny, my uncle bought the car just for the hood to stick on his 68 chevelle non ss. (picture of uncles car first, then all my car). Tires not. Steering wheel not. Shifter not. Still a lot of original parts to some good some not so. Oh and two cents are welcome just pm me for my address and it will get done that much quicker. Enjoy, I do.
Thanks for posting the additional pics as I suggested. As you can see, the more pics you post the more interest, involvement and dialogue you will generate. By the way, I'm not saying you shouldn't start other threads, especially if you have specific questions, it just struck me that others might like to see all the other pictures in one place. They might even be good reference pictures for some of us. (These thoughts also go for anyone else posting project threads.)

For those who missed them here are the underside pics: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/142-projects-builds/1080768-underside.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A little help today. Was very welcome. Taking apart the valance off core support. Doing a little dreaming. Asked when the engine goes in.. Looked like me when I was young.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
There's no location in your profile, so, I have to ask, what part of the country is this car from? It seems really solid from the pics you've shown.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nice to be able to use original parts. Even if you can buy them for cheap. What’s a good paint brand for these? I want them black.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,431 Posts
It's looking really good, we used black rustoleum on the inside of my trunk and summit chassis black underneath the entire car, I also used a light weight insulation called reflectix on the ceiling with spray glue before putting the headliner bows and headliner in, the floor inside mine is also rustoleum black with dynamat & fatmat, your moving right along and your keeping your fire stoked :thumbsup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks shovelrick. Yes I like all those examples. I was curious about the roof insulation. How to get it back in place. I have a few dents in the top to fix first, but it’s getting vinyl so that helps. Saw a sticky here on installing from bubba68ss. Might give it a try. Some others successful and hopefully if he’s still in Vancouver might be a good reason for a drive. I also want everything inside black. Even though it might get a little hot, that’s ok I have Astro ventilation right. Anyways thanks for the feed back. Next the dash, instrument carrier and wires.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts