·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Its a start!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry not sure how to put pictures in one post. Yes working on getting it primed. Would post more pictures but not sure how

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
You've already got your fire started :thumbsup: post pics as you go, we'll help keep your fire stoked :thumbsup:
BTW mine looked very similar when I started on it

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
A little history may be in order. You have had this car 30 years? A family member? Original owner? Details about the car?

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Epoxy primer, or something to seal it... I thought that most primer wasn't good for sealing moisture, and it could start to rust under the primer?
Epoxy

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
History- I’m not the original owner I bought this from my uncle who got it for parts on his 68 30 plus years ago. I was young and not to interested in it then in my 20s I got glaucoma and lost most my sight and drivers license so it sat in a field where kids threw rocks and things at it breaking windows dents and whatever else kids do. Two years ago my wife and I bought a house where now she has a garage. Well now I have a 12 year old boy so I thought this might be a good bonding project. We’ll see. Anyway long story short she’s a Baltimore built cortez silver, black vynal top, black interior bucket seat, center consol with a 396

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hope your son realizes the opportunity he has. This could be a very important and formative time for him. I’m sure you know that, sometimes it’s hard to get a young kid to see the forest.

·
Registered
1970 chevelle Malibu
412 Posts
Looks nice! I’m jealous of how nice the quarter panels are! Lol I keep putting off having mine done. They were done 20 years ago, no rust, but the shop used a boat load of filler on them.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
Nice project.

I see you have posted a few other pics in other threads, like the "Underside" and interior. I think you should post all those pics in this thread (or maybe links to the other threads), also, as this looks to be the main project thread. I'd like to see the rest of the car, too, kind of an overall idea of what you're starting with. Let's see pics of the critical rust or rust free areas like quarter panels, front fenders, and floor pans, etc..

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is never to late to start. I have began on a 69 L78 SS i took apart 30 years ago myself. Finally found a young man that is awesome with a welder and he put on a full metal roof. The old vinyl top had ate some much metal replacement was the only choice. Now that that is fixed , lets go . Motivation is where you find it......feed on it and get it going.....great progress.....

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
It is never to late to start. I have began on a 69 L78 SS i took apart 30 years ago myself. Finally found a young man that is awesome with a welder and he put on a full metal roof. The old vinyl top had ate some much metal replacement was the only choice. Now that that is fixed , lets go . Motivation is where you find it......feed on it and get it going.....great progress.....
Start a project thread on yours also. I know I'm always up to follow an L78 build. What was it new...4-spd or T400? Do you have a lot of parts? Do you have the original engine, trans and/or rear axle? Photos?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the interest. As for where I am, I’m all over the place. The more I work the more comes apart. Not sure what I posted, and where so maybe one thread is what I should have stayed with. Ok here goes, I think the th350 tranny is original. No on original engine. Has a 283 that I sold to the same uncle I got the car from. Bought a 396 already to replace it. More demo. Trunk lid is not original. Hood is not original. Funny, my uncle bought the car just for the hood to stick on his 68 chevelle non ss. (picture of uncles car first, then all my car). Tires not. Steering wheel not. Shifter not. Still a lot of original parts to some good some not so. Oh and two cents are welcome just pm me for my address and it will get done that much quicker. Enjoy, I do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,525 Posts
I too am "restoring" an L78 that hasn't been driven in over 33 years (I last drove the car in 1985, engine blew, and "life" happened)... Somewhere on here I started a "build thread", but while the spark is still there, its pretty weak... Gathered a lot of parts, did a little work, but still a ways to go...

Good luck, and stay focused on the final goal...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts