Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just tested the compression on my big blok and its at 30 psi on all cylinders. is my tester messed up or is something else wrong?

------------------
Russ B.

'68 Chevelle 396 ht

...nice first car, huh?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Considering that all the cylinders have the same psi, I would say that the tester is innacurate.

If your motor was making 30 psi and there was nothing wrong with the tool, that motor would run like crap and be blowing oil left and right, or had RIDICULOUSLY low compression, OR....etc

Usually when a compression test reveals a problem, it is that one or a few cylinders are reading below the normal level. It would be a pretty rare find to have a motor where all the cylinders had the same problem.

Are you using the tool properly?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, the engine wasn't warmed up, but that's cuz al the spark plugs are out. i had wot when i tested and the air filter is off. i screwed the tester's tube into the spark plug's hole, then connected the psi guage. cranked the engine about 5 times around, then checked it. i just replaced my pushrods, might my valves be open during the compression cycle? no oil or anyhting seems wrong with it. although, i did have a rag fire that i put out with one of those sodium something or other fire extinguishers, while the valve covers were off and some of that may have gotten into the engine. might the valves have deposits on them causing this, and if so how do i clean them?(hopefully w/o pulling the heads!)

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Did you use the right adapter to fit in the spark plug hole? With a number like 30 p.s.i. something has to be desperately wrong. You should also check to make sure that you have your valves adjusted right.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.